WhatWreckWas

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

True for substances sufficiently hard not to deform under load. Of which there are very few (one might think steel wheels on steel rails, but even railroads have to deal with it).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

On 12 Nov 2004 14:46:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

OSHA and Lawyers are 2 main reasons we have so MANY total idiots in our midst nowadays. Darwin woulda got 'em if OSHA hadn't taken all the fun out of machinery, etc.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:38:37 GMT, Michael Baglio calmly ranted:

Goodonya, Ace. We USAF kids used to chase the DDT-spraying skeeter fogger trucks on LRAFB back in the 60s. We'd stay in the mist until someone's mother came out and screamed at us.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m27.aol.com:

I had a flash of insight, and appreciation, when, way too early this morning I wondered what my predecessors did, before aspirin and Advil?

Gave me a whole new appreciation for what they accomplished...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

complaining)

Naaaahhh! We did the chicken plucking Sat. night & let it "hang" overnight.

Flour sack towels! Split the side seams & hem them, stitch the top back together to make an "endless" towel hung over a dowel in a bracket. Just pull it around to a dry spot to use.

Got to pass on a personal story. I was about 6 or 7, Mom & I lived upstairs over Grandpa & Grandma. He had an "egg route" in Jamestown 3 days a week. Out back we had a good sized garden and a "brooder house" for chicks, plus 2 hen houses. Sometimes Gramp would let the chickens out in the Spring to pick in the back yard. Mom sent me down with a pan of potato peelings, etc. to give the chickens. I gave the stuff a fling to spread it around a little and turned to go back to the house . . .that dam*ed Rhode Island Red rooster went right up my back, scratching & clawing. I was screaming, Mom came down & beat him off with a broom. Few days later he did the same thing when I went in the henhouse to collect eggs. Gramp said to take big stick in and "discuss his behavior" with him. We had about three "discussions" and he decided he didn't want to bother me any more. He apparently transferred his "affections" to Gramp, because about a week later, I saw the carcass hanging under the back porch ceiling for dinner the next day.

He was tasty!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I think the correct term is wringing or wringability. I've also heard stiction used to mean this. IIRC, stiction is short for static friction. Sorta makes sense.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Me, neither. The deformability idea might have some merit. I just wondered whether anyone had ever taken the time to seriously investigate it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

If you are talking about gauge blocks, the physics is entirely different, the blocks physically bind together. They are ground to a precision of several tens of micro-inches -- there is actual molecular binding occuring (at least as it was explained during sophomore physics lab). I doubt that his the phenomena being observed with a plane and wood.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

If the two surfaces are sufficiently smooth, then there won't be any (significant amount of) air between them. Atmospheric pressure will hold them together.

I've heard that a pair of metal blocks so polished are called "Johansen (sp?) Blocks".

Reply to
Morris Dovey

A quick experiment shows that you can get more than 15psi of force retaining these blocks together. It's not just air pressure.

I think Johansen was one of the makers for sets of gauge blocks. The name has probably become generic, like "Hoover".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Your arms aren't as tired from lapping the sole all day?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Cohesion is the term (the tendancy of like molicules to cling together). But I'm guessing that what you're experiencing there is not cohesion in the strictest sense of the word- it sounds more like the water present in the general environment is collecting in small quanities on your metal or glass, and the water's adhesive property is what is holding the two pieces together. Friction is the force that works against you when you slide the two pieces apart- not when you pull them apart.