What tool do I need to make a door close again?

My tool of choice is a wood rasp followed by a little sandpaper. Just touch the high spots.

Reply to
Vic Baron

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1141101589.148551.96390 @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

You don't say where the door is binding, and that has a bearing on what the solution is. You may want to inspect the hinges, both jamb and door to ensure that something didn't come loose. Then assuming that is in order,

If it is the bottom of the door that is dragging, look at the top margin of the door/jamb. If it is consistent acroos the top, then you will probably have to trim the bottom. If it is not consistent, then loosen up one leaf of the bottom hinge and place two pieces of paper board ( cereal box kinda stuff)behind the hinge. This will have the effect of moving the bottom of the door over toward the latch jamb and the top of the door up.

If it is the top of the door that is binding, a belt sander will take off a little at a time and prevent the big OMG of a planer when it is going across end grain.

If it is the latch side of the door, the belt sander will work just as well. Before I would foul up the finish though, I would try to reset the nails and maybe put in a few more in the right location to try to suck the jamb back in place. It is easier to putty a few hols than to re-finish the door.

Good luck an let us know how it turns out

Reply to
Karl B

Well, from one craftsman to another, I agree with most of what he said however with one caveat! Never Never Never mess with the latch side of the door. There are 2 back sets that locks come with ( 2 3/8's and 2

3/4's). The first of which is a residential backset and the second is the standard commercial backset. DON'T CHANGE THE BACKSET!!!!!! You can change the hinge set all day long without changing the setup on the door, but if you alter the backset of the lockset, then your destined for trouble. Trust me on this, I see it everyday. Not only am I a "newbie" to woodworking, but I'm also a Certified Master Locksmith. Thats right, I deal with doors everyday all day. Please don't do this, it will only cause problems that you don't want. BTW, I'm relatively new to this group and humbly introuduce myself therefore.

Jack

Reply to
Jack