What to do with my 1hp delta shaper?

NOOOOOOO! Use the table boost and keep your cutter under some extra wood. One pinch and the whole shebang comes in the direction opposite the rotation if the cutter is above and open. Not to mention that the front of the panel is the view side, where consistency counts. I can pass right over the cutters with the panel and my hold-downs when it's beneath the wood. Can't feed that consistently or positively with that big whirring mess staring at you in the middle.

Reply to
George

Some do, but not freehand. If you run them w/ the panel face up, you _must_ imo use a power feeder both for safety and for any chance of getting a decent finish surface. See George's additional remarks in that regard...

I would assume if they sell them w/ a 1/2" insert, they'll have to say they're ok to use on a 1/2" spindle, wouldn't you? :)

I personally don't have the required "pucker power" to turn it on w/ anything much over a 3 to 3-1/2" OD. As noted before I _know_ a 1/2" steel shaft is pretty strong and should take the load, but I just can't make myself do it--it just doesn't "look" safe (to me) and I don't feel safe, whether I am or not...

If I didn't have a larger shaper, _perhaps_ my feeling would change, but I doubt it...

Power won't be much of an issue imo...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth