what should be my first power tool?

Dangerous. Requires constant setup to remain accurate. Did I mention dangerous?

Reply to
DonHO

you must be new here. Everyone here knows not to get into an argument with Rumpty about Remedial Arm Saws. Don't say I didn't warn ya!

dave

snipped-for-privacy@ehmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Many would like to fill a closet with a shop. I remember seeing a pretty good woodworking book that showed closet-sized shops. Just can't remember the name.

:)

Reply to
Dave

BAD...

You're doin' fine. You're just focusing on the second phase.

I've talked with a fair number of would-be woodworkers - and an awful lot of 'em have never stopped to think that the "making larger" would go a lot more smoothly if the earlier "making smaller" was done with more precision. (-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Of course they are dangerous. So aren't table saws, jointers. planers, bandsaws, router, grinders, hand grenades and thermonuclear devices.

When used properly the RAS is one of the safest tools in the shop. Certainly safer then the a table saw.unless you try to rip with it.. Even then it is no more dangerous then any other tool that is slinging sharp metal around.

I won't even address the constantly needing alignment other then to say it's been eight years since I last did an alignment on my Sears RAS it's still trucking along fine and in perfect alignment.

Reply to
Mike G

Not to mention a utility knife.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

As you can see......you could run outta money, before running outta different tools........I opt for a tablesaw.....and build from there.....projects, or getting more tools.....

Reply to
George Berlinger

Ahh, those quiet moments in the shop at the end of the day when you shut down all the power tools and relax at the bench. Your left hand reaches for that piece of stock that needed just a little bit of trimming, your right hand for the 1/4" chisel. You sigh, your body relaxing, your mind going over what you are going to be doing in the shop tomorrow. Then it happens!

You've paid absolutely no attention to the stock and chisel in your hands and you've buried that nice sharp (If you are lucky) chisel a 1/4" into the ball of your thumb.

If you look really hard there is a moral in that story.

;-)

Reply to
Mike G

ive seen some of those in time/life books. like a big transformer where everything folds out. biggest problem i see is you arent going to be working much with 4x8 sheets of plywood in your closet

randy

Reply to
xrongor

LOL!!! Did you bother to read the subject line? If it's his FIRST and ONLY power tool what do you expect him to do with it? Cook dinner.

Try ripping with it or cutting dados for awhile. Then we will talk.

Reply to
DonHO

Did you read the subject line? A RAS is not a great first power tool.

Reply to
DonHO

"TeamCasa" wrote in news:40460215$1_1@127.0.0.1:

Dave's right. The best power tool is a friend and mentor who can help you figure out how to solve the problem in front of you, with the tools available to you. Better yet, more than just one.

The computer you used to reach the Wreck also qualifies as a power tool.

But someone to show you how, or do it with you, or offer encouragement when you're stumped is priceless.

Now here's the warning: You can get in very deeply, if your buddy has a tool habit.

Go. Use what you have to make something useful and/or pretty.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Greetings and Salutations...

On 03 Mar 2004 04:56:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote:

Welcome to an amazing field...with lots of interesting challenges to overcome and techniques to master. My suggestion (and forgive me if it echoes others) is to figure out what you want to build first...then pick up the tools you need to complete the project. Perhaps the best tool to buy FIRST would be some inspiration. A good source of this (that remains approachable by normal mortals) are the books by Doug Stowe.

are a good start, actually, as they are useful, certainly can be ornamental, and while simple enough to start building the basic skills you will need for the coming years, DO requre learning to make straight cuts and accurate angles. If you embark on the box path, I would suggest that you get a decent sliding miter saw. Although not great, the one that Harbor Freight sells is NOT a bad option. It is a tad light-weight, but, with gentle use, can produce good results. Also, you will need a good drill (12v cordless works great), a set of good drill bits (I suggest HSS or cobalt steel), a block plane, glue, nitrile gloves, clamps (the Pittsburgh brand from Harbor Freight are excellent deals) and a stack of poplar to practice on. If you get a good hacksaw, and some fairly coarse blades, you can cut excellent dovetails, but, can start off by making mitered joints with re-enforcing splines. Hum...so many toys...so little time. a good combination square is vital...I prefer Starrett, but, there are other good ones out there. In any case, get a fixed try square too...6" and 8" are good sizes...and a 4" one can be handy too. The important thing though is to have the patience to build the skills of understanding how the tool changes the wood and how to control it. I would also suggest that you seek out some of the adult education woodworking courses (probably offered at some local school) to help with the learning curve. Alternatively, ask around to your friends and acquaintances to see if any of them are woodworkers. If so, perhaps you can arrange to work with them, either on some of their projects, or on some of yours, and get some "apprenticeship" hours in. It is always a LOT less painful to learn by working with someone who knows what they are doing... Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

No shit, really?

I think the first power tool should be a band saw. I know a neander whose ONLY power tool is a band saw. It resaws, rips, crosscuts, and cuts curves, and can do all of them at a bevel, if necessary.

Everything else is actually pretty simple to do by hand.

Read what I quoted.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The RAS, the same one I still own, was also my first major power tool and that was close to thirty years ago. You ain't got all that much to talk to me about smart ass..

Reply to
Mike G

The RAS, the VERY same one you own, was also my first power tool close to 30 years ago...and I had ALL the attachments that Craftsman made for the thing.

That doesn't mean it was a good choice as a first tool.

Reply to
DonHO

Uh, that chisels are not your friend?!?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

======================= Someone already suggested this....A DRILL

and I would buy it right after I purchased A GOOD COMFORTABLE...... IN MY HANDS....... SET OF SCREW DRIVERS....

My suggestion is to buy whatever TOOL you need to "do" the project you are working on... I have been a serious woodworker for over 40 years and I still do not own a miter saw... BUT I do own 6 routers ...

Never built anything that I needed a miter saw for...so I still do not own one...

Bob Griffiths .

Reply to
Bob G.

Doesn't mean it was a bad one either. Still go all your fingers? I suspect you do and are none the worse for wear.

Reply to
Mike G

Here's the start of a list:

  1. Drill, 3/8" VSR and a set of drill bits up to 1/4" diameter
  2. Circular saw with carbide-toothed blade

After that, nearly everything else removes/cuts wood so that it can be fastened together. Since clamps, guides, chisels, planes are not powered by air or electricity, they are acquired as needed and are off-list.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick