What material for jewelery box lining?

I'm just finishing a jewelery box for my wife and need to put in some lining. What types of material is used and how is it installed?

I have some self adhesive felt material, but may need another alternative. Some boxes I've seen seem to have lining on 'cards' that are glued to the inside of boxes.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Brooklin

Try Suede-Tex from Donjer.com. It is a spray/shake on flocking material. ken

Reply to
Ken M.

I'm in about the same place and I'm planning to use the glued felt that Rockler and Woodcraft sell. It's black and easy to use, just peel and stick after cutting to size.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Reply to
JGS

I too have used a flocking kit. Very easy and holds up well and comes in various colors. Just paint in the base, and spray in the flock which sticks to the wet paint. For small boxes, I don't even bother with the sprayer. Just pour in some flock, close the box and shake real good. Let dry and pour out the excess which is good for the next project. If you are going to use it, tape off the areas where you don't want paint to get on using blue painters tape. When the tape comes off, you have nice crisp lines.

Jack

> Bob Schmall wrote:

Reply to
Jack Casuso

Don't use wool, or felt and baize that's made from it. It exudes sulphur which will tarnish silver.

Silks are good, or the many synthetic silk-alikes. An Indian sari shop will sell you a mile of lovely prints for peanuts. Chinese cheong sam dresses are very cheap at present and they're a good source of nice fabric or even genuine silk (cheaper than buying it on the roll), so long as you find one with a small enough print. Thai silk (the slubbed stuff) is good for linings, but doesn't like earrings being stuck through it.

I generally collect any attractive fabrics, then just glue them in place. I use a few layers underneath, simply machine quilted, then a single layer over the top. This gives a "cushion" shape that tends to hide corners. If there are earrings, make an extra-thick quilted plate.

A good technique for fitting it is to make flat insert plates. Take a slip of thin (1.5mm) plywood or veneer that's just undersized for each inner surface. Cut the fabric oversize and sew a simple hem with a drawstring in it. Fold it over the edges and pull tight at the back. Arrange the quilting or edge arrangement to be perfect, while you have the insert out and accessible. Then place the insert into the box and fasten it down, which can be easily and crudely done.

For travelling jewellery boxes, consider making up hanging cloths, where pieces can be either pinned or placed in individual pockets. This saves pieces rattling together in transit. You jewellery box may then be either a "box", or more of a fold-out hanging rack. This is particularly useful for jeweller's display cases.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
nospambob

Reply to
Richard Clements

He didn't ask how to ruin a jewelry box and turn it into a 50 cent flea market item.

Reply to
Dale

Go to any upholstery shop and cheek out their bits and pieces. You will find some lovely stuff. Drapery places as well. If you use felt or that spray crap your box becomes an instant two bit flea market item.

Reply to
Dale

lots of possibilities.

any fabric you want. felt and velvet are popular choices. install them with thinned white glue, an artist's brush, exacto knife and a thin pointy stick to tuck the corners.

flocking. sort of powdered felt. imbedded in a coat of glue.

Reply to
bridger

Dale, how about a positive here? I'd be interested in what you would recommend. GerryG

Reply to
GerryG

Gerry I like the heavy silks and fabrics used for furniture and fine draperies. They glue very well because of their weight. You can get scraps for next to nothing of fabrics that cost $100 a yard or more. I did a brass covered box lined with dark blue silk for my wife last year. It was a drapery fabric worth $85 a yard and it cost me nothing.

I can't say enough BAD about felt or that spray on crap most people insist on using.

Reply to
Dale

crushed velvet works for me just rumple it up and glue it in looks and works great....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:30:22 GMT, GerryG calmly ranted:

I picked up a yard of UltraSuede from Walmart for $3.99 to use on a special sample of a laptop glare guard my company builds. It's great stuff and would be absolutely great in a jewelery box. A yard goes a long way, too. Available in all sorts of colors.

Raid the wife' sewing box first. She might already have some fabric she likes.

-------------------------------------------------- I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon) ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

PLONK!! Kill file, Blocked list..

Reply to
Ken M.

So why is Suede-Tex specifically four times cheaper looking than any other "two bit" flocking material ? 8-)

I don't disagree BTW. Flocks don't look that good to start with and a little wear on them soon looks _very_ shabby.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

IMO they all suck. They are for crafters not woodworkers. A fine box deserves a fine lining. If you've been to enough shows you know what I mean. I've seen some terrific woodworking ruined by that spray on crap.

Reply to
Dale