Best Dry Lining Box

Hi all

A colleague is batoning and insulating a cold wall, with 12mm plasterboard to cover.

I have suggested that he makes sure batons are installed close to the proposed double socket location and that he uses a dry lining box.

As this will be for a socket (which take more hammer than switches obviously), can you guys recommend the most sturdy box please? There seem to be various types on the market, some of which look well waffey to me!

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It's not the boxes that give out but the plasterboard. Most seem to have the same size sideflaps so little to choose there in terms of load spreading. To my mind they'd be better if they had extra flaps top and bottom on the double boxes as they're nearly always going to be socket boxes.

Having said that, I fitted a double socket in an existing plasterboard wall the other day using one and was surprised at how solid it felt.

If it was me, I'd simply set a 35mm metal back box into the existing wall so that it'll sit flush with (or slightly behind) the front face of the plasterboard when it's fitted.

Reply to
Scott M

"Scott M" wrote

Thanks Scott

That was my first thought - I like metal boxes screwed to something solid! But that would cause a cold bridge to the solid/cold/damp outside wall.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I screw wood battens (1 x 1/2" or so) to the back of the plasterboard and fix a metal box to those. Handy in a partition wall. It sounds quite long winded but doesn't actually add much time to the installation. Of course I realise a pro sparks wouldn't have the time for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

existing

So do it but the times I've used a drylining box on plasterboard the fix is firm enough but I've always tried to as close to a stud as possible rather than in the middle of span. The noise as the whole wall acts a sound board as you plug/unplug/switch is another matter.

I'm wondereding how the spark is going to deal with fixing boxes to plasterboard with 50mm of kingspan bonded on the back and running cables to them behind the 8x4 sheets...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Thanks Dave

This is a DIY job. My colleague intends to fit batons to wall and infill with kingspan. Then cover over with kingspan over top of batons. Then plasterboard over. The cables will come up through the floor behind plasterboard in channel cut in top layer of kingspan.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I bet have enough time do that in their own house:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I bet few have enough time to finish typing before they hit send ;-)

Reply to
fred

;-) Put it this way - it makes the box to plasterboard fixing as strong as the plasterboard. It also allows easy and perfect lining up of two or more boxes close by. You do usually need to drill extra holes in the boxes, though. To pick up near the middle of the batten.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)