What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?

OFWW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A Paxton supercharger? Not a 6-71? Granted, the Paxton will probably work a lot better (and be a lot cheaper), but the 6-71 has that classic blown hot-rod appearance.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

tine condition. What the man does is simply amazing. He just finished his last restoration (he is retiring), which was a 32 Ford Cabrolet. When he started all he had was a body, which was in much worse shape than what you are showing here (rusted up 4-6" all around the bottom, no floor pan, no to p mechanism, no rumble seat, no hood, no chassis) , and the cowl. He deliv ered it (drove it over to the owner's house) Sunday and you could comb your hair in the paint job.

Believe me, on the last car, and it was also the last car he is doing, he h ad much less to start with and rolled out his door looking like it just cam e out of the showroom.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Like I said - anything is possible - including building an accurate reproduction from scratch - but that only really makes sense for very rare cars - not a '32 Chevy. with totally roached fenders, no doors or front sheet metal and no roof. Except for rare vehicles, it NEVER makes any financial sense (and yes, I HAVE restored some old vehicles, including a few "basket cases" Even at Barrett Jackson auctions, you can usually buy very good to excellent cars for significantly less than the cost to build - even strting from a reasonably good junker.

Reply to
clare

It seldom makes financial sense to restore an old car. That's not why it's done, generally.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I was watching Velocity. A restorer found a Stutz Bearcat unmodified and pretty much in running condition hidden away in a garage. They bought it and just cleaned it up and then entered it in the Bebble Beach Show and won first prize for not restoring. It ran well considering it's age. 1921 model.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That seems to be a thing now. It's a bit like patina on old tools - as long as the car is sound, the less you do to it the more it's valued.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I wonder if that's because most restorations seldom get back what was put into them?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

i think it is an amc pacer

Reply to
Electric Comet

That would make perfect sense. I can not think of any other reason.

OR to keep it authentic. Paint not so much but I would imagine it would be very difficult to find parts for a very old vehicle.

Reply to
Leon

Yep - the bullet holes were put there by the owner. and he saved one for himself. John T.

Reply to
hubops

haha

apparently and believe or not they are sought after

in good condition they even get a pretty good price

Reply to
Electric Comet

The big reason is "it's only original once" An "as found" that is not wearing it's original paint may as well be restored, as it is no longer "original" An "original" "survivor" car is a very rare thing - particularly something like a '21 Bearcat.

Reply to
clare

I used to own one, and you'd be surprised how comfortable they were. A whole lot MORE comfortable with A/C, mind you!! The greenhouse had more glass than a '61 new yorker station wagon!!! We actually rallied the "fishbowl" a couple times early in our first season while we were "getting the kinks out of" the R12.. The K frame made a pretty good road grader, from what I remember!!! The 232 was a bit weak for a car of that heft - the 258 was better - the 304 was too heavy.

Reply to
clare

When you drive a new car off the lot you lose at least 10% so it has lost a lot of value. Even worse, it is a discontinued model. Not worth much more than scrap value, I'd guess.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's because one in good condition has always been exceedingly rare, even when they were new (owned a '71 Gremlin - the most appropriately named car in history).

Reply to
krw

A Stutz? I guess you haven't seen the auto auctions on the TeeVee.

Reply to
krw

I worked for a short time for an AMC dealer back in '72, and they were actually pretty good cars when compared to products from GM. Ford, and Chrysler at the same time. One big problem with the gremy and hornet was the latch pins breaking out of the doorposts after the hinge pins wore out or sagged.. They had pretty well solved the rocker arm oiling issue on the 232 by that time. The 258 was a better motor for the car

- and the 340 was AWSOME. There was a dealer in Mesa Arizona that put the 401 AMX engine in the Grem. - Randall Motors XR401. There were quite a few 360s transplanted into Grems too - They were HAIRY!!!!

Reply to
clare

Ours was a 232 but the engine was the only part of the car that didn't have a problem. Everything from the alternator to the window frames broke in the first few months. The dash was warped so badly that the glove box door wouldn't close properly. The brakes were crap, as was the clutch, drive shaft, and pretty much everything else. The only thing worse than the car was the dealer and the manufacturer. Pure junk.

Reply to
krw

I'd say your dealer was your biggest problem. The ones that had the prestolite alternators did have some regulator problems. AMC actually made some pretty good stuff.

Reply to
clare

The original electrical problem was in the brushes. One was sheared clean off somehow. It took everything else with it. The dealer blamed it on someone shorting a spark plug, of all asinine arguments to not fix it. Oh, and I forgot the extra nut in the front brake

*drum*. It really chewed the crap out of the brake when it broke loose. Of course the dealer AND AMC wouldn't believe the nut did the damage. It didn't. All the rest of the stuff it knocked loose (self adjusting stuff) did the damage. Yes, the dealer sucked but AMC wasn't any better and the car was absolute crap. It didn't last three years and the problem wasn't rust.
Reply to
krw