What is it? Set 554

Correct, the owner said it was a lightning rod.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes

If this tool looks familiar, I posted a wooden version of it several years ago.

be hung, like light units

Sounds like a good answer but I haven't found a reference for it yet.

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.

He's just doing what he does best ... just ploink him and be done with the idiot .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

At least one fellow tried to show me how to find the information. What do you bring to the situation?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in news:SFYxv.3817 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx13.iad:

You haven't seen them in the last seven weeks, and you bitch about it all the time.

I didn't create the problem, you are the problem.

If you are doing this for attention, STOP. Why not direct your posts toward answers to others' problems. At least then, if you get attention, it will be constructive.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

RE: Stormin Mormon

Zonked this idiot but others continue to bring him back from Zonk land.

Help.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3235) This looks like an interesting variant on a measuring instrument.

I think that it is for an inner measurement, between the spur added to the bottom right-hand corner (as photographed) and the projection on the slider with the window. Actually, there is a second point on that spur from which outside dimensions could be read.

Measurement is taken by the intersection of the edge of the window and the slanted line. Each (numbered) slanted line covers a range of fifteen of whatever the unit of measurement is, and where it crosses the edge of the window determines which value (between 1 and 15) to add to it.

The smaller slider with the pointer is for similar measurements (bidirectional, based on the scale).

I am curios to know what units it is actually measuring in, given fifteen marked divisions, plus an implied zero at the top of the window, and a scale from 1 to 8 (again with an implied zero), but I' n to quite sure how the needle is coupled to motion of the slide.

Perhaps it measures by pushing down the brass knob, and determining the projection of the metal part which is not clearly visible from the photo angles. In that case it would be for small steps only.

But what linear measurement is in units of 16 and 9?

3236) This one looks to be designed to clamp onto the edge of a plate of metal, and to be used for lifting it via the eye opposite the thumbscrew (using a crane, of course, and likely two or more of th eyes.)

At a guess from say 1/4" thick up to two or two and a half inches thick.

3237) I rather like the scale beside it. It would be convenient when taking rough measurements in a hurry and in poor illumination.

The scoop seems to me to be for scooping up grain (wheat, corn, whatever). Not convenient for measuring it, however.

3238) An interesting thing. At first guess, I would think that it is for guiding hoses or small irrigation pipes (which would fit in the notch above the spike. The spike goes into the ground. A similar metal plate goes on top to hold the hose or pipe in place.

And the tabs on the underside look as though they are intended to be bent over to grip a grounding wire -- which suggests that the pipe may be carrying a flamable liquid, not water or fertilizer.

3239) The fork to the right looks like one designed for popping ball joints apart -- likely steering ball joints.

The other part looks like a slide hammer, which could be used for driving the fork.

3240) Hmm ... from London. The graduated sizes of the spaces on the shelves suggest a set of weights, which probably means that the hole in front of the shelves is access to a pan to put the weights on. (But I don't see any form of balance indicator.)

The locks key (I assume that the same key fits both the door and the drawer in the bottom) suggests that whatever it is used on is fairly expensive -- a precious metal perhaps, which it would make sense to weigh very carefully.

The slide at the top front likely opens and closes openings on the top.

The projecting dowels look to be to bounce what is dropped, perhaps to make it more finely divided.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
mungedaddress

I think 3239, on the right, is a tie rod end separator. Not sure what the slide hammer is used for.

Reply to
geoff

A very nice ruler indeed.

But it strikes me that the shape of it could be useful for getting a precise amount of some powder. If you filled the scoop and then drew a straight edge across it you'd get a standard measure.

Reply to
Dr Nick

Yes, two of us showed you exactly how to find the answers. Did we get any thanks?........ Did we f*ck!!

Reply to
David B

It would be so, so easy for someone to post the answers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Incidentally, thank you for trying. I'm used to seeing the answers as formatted, and would appreciate that to be reinstated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3235 is a paint thickness gauge. The probe pressed into the paint, and the indicator shows how thick is the paint. This is used for QC, mostly in commercial paint jobs, for example defense department. (This is entirely a guess, and probably totally wrong.) 3236, table clamp. 3237, tool for mixing butter. Spatula. 3238, roof spike for running heater tape. 3239, the one on the left appears to be a dent puller for automotive. On the right is a tie rod separator, fondly called a pickle fork. 3240, not sure.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in news:6S6yv.34777$ snipped-for-privacy@fx07.iad:

I suppose it never occurred to you to visit Rob's page on BlogSpot and simply LOOK at the answers he posts here AND there every single week.

Since you have to look at the clue photos on BlogSpot, I know for a certainty that you have the link.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It sure is kind of you to post the answers in the traditional format, each week. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Then your problem is with Rob who post the answers usually on friday. The rest of know where the answers are and have told you how and where they are.

Reply to
Markem

Anybody else notice how this thread is no longer about "What is it?" but is now about "Pity Poor Chris" ? Y'all have played right into his plans and given him just what he wants - attention . You should be ashamed of yourselves .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:4Ffyv.50757 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx31.iad:

Not me. I am what you'd call "long-suffering". I am not "forever- suffering".

For all these years, he's been an interesting diversion. Now he's on the Plonk List.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Looks like I'll be on the road for work starting next week, so I won't be posting for at least a couple of months, maybe many months. I've posted here and on my site every week for the past ten years so I guess I'm over due for a break. Thanks to everyone for their participation, I've enjoyed it and have learned a lot.

The answers for this week have been posted:

Have a great weekend everyone!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.