What is it? Set 515

Also known as a 'pig sticker'.

Reply to
Nick

Tough set this week, no luck on the unidentified items, the answers for the rest have been posted here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

These are actually canvas stretching pliers as used by artists/picture framers/conservators etc. Wide jaws to stop the canvas from tearing.

Parko

That's a fun bunch. The wood thing with the metal loops, makes me wonder if it allows to clamp onto existing rope. Telephone guys have a tapered thing, they can clamp onto phone wire, and secure it to a pole. Can't find image on the web. I remember it well enough, I can probably draw one.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Rob, You'd have to show me an extreme close-up of that to convince me those are actual vegetable twigs. I have a sense that they're called "twigs" in the vintner's trade, but are really fine two-strand twisted iron wire.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I think you are probably right about them being wire and not really twigs, though the owner used the word twig three times in this description, I'll ask him for clarification.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good eye! I heard back from the owner who said in the old days they used real twigs but later switched to wire, as is seen in the photo.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

3005: Time for some imagination!

How about a straightener for arrows or some other wood shafts? Robin Hood wouldn't have won the contest if he hadn't checked and straightened his arrows. Too much force will damage the wood. The wedge on which the spring is mounted could be slid looser to insert the shaft under the iron at the top, then slid tighter for suitable pressure on the spring.

Reply to
J Burns
    • U
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Den 18-10-2013 03:15, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh skrev:

Sounds fair to me :-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Interesting theory, unfortunately I can't take a close look at either of the items since I don't own them, if I come across either of them again I'll take some measurements to see if this is feasible.

Reply to
Rob H.