What is it? Set 440

[ ... ]

I think not filters in this one, because there is no cable visible entering it. Documentation as to what pair connects to where, if that is a "card drop" -- that I could accept -- documentation on the local wiring.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Good point, I'm going to try to find some typical documentation that they would contain and will post it when I do.

Reply to
Rob H.

Know someone with a ladder? Go up and look. Make copies, and put the papers back later.

.

Good point, I'm going to try to find some typical documentation that they would contain and will post it when I do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll probably end up doing that but I would prefer to do it on a street with not much traffic and most of the ones that I've seen are on busy roads.

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

It's trespassing, and not looked upon lightly because of the potential for theft of wiring/devices and sabotage. When you see a power company lineman at work somewhere, just ASK him.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Panel van. Yellow safety vest. Yellow bump cap. Clip board. Couple of stolen road cones. No one will know. Urban camoflauge. Middle of the day. You'd be amazed some of the things I've done, and no one seems to notice or care.

.

I'll probably end up doing that but I would prefer to do it on a street with not much traffic and most of the ones that I've seen are on busy roads.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can't figure out where it bolts on because this is *not* an apple peeler. Those tended to have a horizontal shaft, not the vertical shown here (based on the clamp which mounts it to the table). I (and others) identified it as a hand cranked drill press, with a force feed from the knob at the top. The drill chuck screws onto the bottom end of the shank shown, which you can see is threaded. There were accessories for this which would replace the flat plate with a V-block (for cross drilling round steel rods) and a vise for holding smaller workpieces.

I found (and posted) the catalog from the maker which shows the device in its entirity.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Based on the catalog (Goodell-Pratt No. 16) calls this one a

"No. 9 Bench Drill"

It can be found on catalog page 204, which is shown as page 96 in the PDF download of the catalog, because it is scanned two pages per pdf page. The catalog appears to date from 1926. The choice between the No. 8 on the facing page and the No. 9 is based on the size listed above the puzzle photo relative to the height above the workbench shown in the catalog.

FWIW -- when new, it sold for $12.70 with the round table, and for $16.00 with the vise added.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Strangely enough, the apple peelers my dad has were in fact made by the same company that made the drill press you identified, Goodell- Pratt.

Perhaps should go in "rec.crafts.fruitworking" instead of metalworking :-)

I remember when Harbor Freight just a few years ago was selling a variant of their jigsaw, for butcher shop use, and I made some crack about rec.crafts.meatworking :-)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I thought HF had a crank apple peeler.

Their web site delivered zero items for apple, or for peeler.

.

Strangely enough, the apple peelers my dad has were in fact made by the same company that made the drill press you identified, Goodell- Pratt.

Perhaps should go in "rec.crafts.fruitworking" instead of metalworking :-)

I remember when Harbor Freight just a few years ago was selling a variant of their jigsaw, for butcher shop use, and I made some crack about rec.crafts.meatworking :-)

Tim.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not enough cranks bought them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think they're both gone.

Not even brass poles?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Not enough a peel?

Golly, you're about as good with the word play as anyone I've had the chance to meet. Well done!

Christ>

Not enough cranks bought them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I am with you. It's a piece of metal designed to bind a piece of wood to a different piece of metal. Best guess is 'lathe'.

Reply to
Joe keane

I've had almost six decades of practice. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For meatalworking, Polish strippers? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell