What is it? Set 435

Very close, it was marked as being used for a slightly different purpose, though I suppose it could have been used in snow.

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

Mud shoes.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's it, they used to use them to harvest marshgrass in the salt marshes here on Cape Cod, I've even found one once in the mud.

Reply to
Mouse

Reply to
Rob H.

Is this volume 1 of your book of fences?

Artemus

I wonder about the little hole in each band. Could it be for a pin or screw to prevent slipping?

Reply to
J Burns

2521) Hmm ... it could be an ashtray which dumps into a hollow steel column to which it is bolted when the hand and bowl are tipped up. It appears to be hinged to allow that. 2522) Do the curved bars simply rest against the steel plate to the left and hinge up otherwise? If so, it could be a work surface designed to clamp to the top of a piling for a dock, and it would serve as a board for cutting up a fish, then the parts which you want to keep are move to elsewhere and you tip it to dump the waste back into the harbor. 2523) Another thing for limiting the mobility of livestock? Loosen the wing nuts, run the strap around the critter's ankles, and reassemble. It keeps the two hooves a fixed distance apart, making running rather impractical.

Or -- it could be used as a carrying handle for some small critter equipped with claws and an attitude to use them. Rotate the two collars so they share a common axis, and apply one band just in front of the rear legs, and the other around the neck. Carry by the joining wood handle.

2524) A folding wood saw for tree limbs, not for carpentry work. It could be used on an overhead limb by tying a rope into each eye, throwing one over the limb, and then alternately pulling the two ropes.

It could also be used as a *very* uncomfortable collar. :-)

2425) Well ... a multi tool. It is a side wire cutter, a hammer, (for driving staples) and perhaps a fence wire tightener. (Or those strange jaws could perhaps serve as other fence wire cutters.) 2426) For decorative leather tooling. You moisten the leather with a sponge, and then hammer various parts of a pattern into the leather. You might subsequently color parts of the pattern. Now (past) time to post this and then read the suggestions which others have posted.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I was thinking a radio face. Top would be the dial. The two smaller slots for band selection and the bottom for selector buttons for presets.

Reply to
Steve W.

When I tried to visualize this as a handle, attached to a straight cylinder (such as a mast, spar or pipe), I had a problem with knuckle clearance. If it is a handle, the user would have to be careful to avoid injury.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I would say this is probably correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

That's a good point, hopefully someone will identify it in the near future.

The rest of them have all been answered correctly, the answers and an update from a few weeks ago can be seen here:

Rob H.

I did a search on markers for graves and crypts but none of them had any slots, so the radio face idea sounds better right now. I went back and looked at the email from a couple of months ago, here is more information on it from the owner:

"I found it in a garage I was demolishing. It is about 8" by 5" (in the middle). There are two threaded holes on the back (one at top center and one on bottom center. There are two numbers - CP-302-1 and 2355 FEDERAL. It probably weighs close to one pound."

Reply to
Rob H.

Then it is perhaps to join two spars pivoted at a common point to hold them at a selected angle to each other.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Laying a broomstick on spacers on a table, I find I need about 0.9". In the photo, when I add the distance from the bolt to the stick and the distance from the bolt to the top of the ring, it looks like 1.5" or so. Because of the angle, I can't be exact.

The diameter of the clamps looks like approximately 3.5". If it's a handle, I'm trying to imagine a situation where it would be useful. Something that gets hot?

Reply to
J Burns

My friend, Thanks for all the skill and time you put into this web site. I enjoy it. You can expect HeBe-ub to give you grief, now. Read the "who is it" thread to understand why.

.

That's a good point, hopefully someone will identify it in the near future.

The rest of them have all been answered correctly, the answers and an update from a few weeks ago can be seen here:

Stormin Mormon

Someone emailed me to say that it's a fuel canister carrier, this sounds good to me so I changed my answer on the site.

Reply to
Rob H.

These were commonly used to mark graves (usually temporarily while the headstone was procured) in the cemetery up the street many years ago. The rectangular spaces held the name and dates. The holes were for the fastenings to the stake that went into the ground.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Looks like this is correct, I found some similar ones here:

Rob H.

With the handles missing.

Reply to
F Murtz

Finger through each loop? Or were there handles? I've never seen one of these, I don't know.

.

With the handles missing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon