What is it? Set 374

-----------------

A nutcracker?? I would like to see that in action.

I assume you put the nut underneath the ball and slam the ball into it. This definitely has the potential to disintegrate some nuts!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I had looked for a youtube video when I posted the answer but didn't find one. It does seem like it would be kind of messy, I guess it would work best if you didn't drop the ball from its full height, and tried to just slightly crack the nut instead of smashing it. Someone had sent me the photo, I don't have one of my own to try out.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

One standard (ANSI Z87.1 ?) for lens testing is a 1 inch steel ball dropped from 50 inch height; I've seen almost exactly this gizmo in an optical shop, as a demonstration of tempered lens toughness, with the larger ball and shorter drop height. There was a sample lens to play with...

Reply to
whit3rd