What is it? Set 245

Nope, it wasn't for a hogshead.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, it's for pulling a railroad spike.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, it's for use in a furnace.

Reply to
Rob H.

1381) Hmm ... looks as though it is designed to be driven into the top of a steel barrel or a large tin can (striking on the projecting flat with a hammer), and then hooked into the edge and used as a canopener to remove the lid in its entirity by working around the full diameter of the container. 1382) This looks as though it is designed to close around the neck of a cow or horse to control its exit from a controlled area. Perhaps to hold a cow in place while it is milked.

The ratchets on the cross-pieces are designed to slide together easily, but to require a bit more dexterity to unlatch it to allow the sides to slide apart again.

1383) Perhaps designed to cut a notch around a wood dowel by closing the pliers and then rotating them around the dowel in preparation for breaking it at the score. 1384) This appears to be an ingot of copper, and the BNM may represent a bank's name. Though I don't know of copper having any monitary value other than in the US penny. 1385) No details of the inside? The chimney structure in the lid suggests that is is perhaps for burning incense.

The colors suggest that it may at one time have had inlays of copper in the grooves.

1386) Perhaps designed to slide up and down vertical rods in a fireplace and lock at whatever height is desired to support other cooking tools.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'll take a stab at 1381 and say that it's a bottle decapper or some kind of decapping device.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Milk Can?

Reply to
BillM

It wasn't for milk cans

Reply to
Rob H.

Aha. Dung disposal. :-)

Reply to
CBFalconer

Nahmie?

Is dat you?

You kinda dropped off the radar, bro.

Good to see your voice again.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

You're partially correct, one of its functions is to open something, but not barrels or cans.

I agree that it's probably a censer, but from exactly where is hard to say.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

That's what I thought. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Been a while since I have seen a block of "turf" or peat for heating fuel, but that's what you got there.

Reply to
beecrofter