What is it? Set 134

Thanks for taking the time to find that, I appreciate everyone's help in researching the tools that I post each week.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I figured the 'hold-open' device would not be required if there could be a helper where the pickup was to occur.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Why do you say "probably under water"?

I found this article about logging forests that have been flooded for reservoirs, but this tool is too old for that:

R.H.

patents on the same day for two different hooks or he got this patent and then modified the tool and kept the same date. I'm guessing that the one on my site isn't spring loaded, but I'll ask the owner of it, though he's out of town for a couple of days so it will be a while until I get an answer. Thanks for finding that.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Rob H.:

Really! It doesn't look nearly strong enough to be used for that sort of work. I'd expect those wiry bars to start bending apart the first time it was thrust into a pile of coal.

Reply to
Mark Brader

Then you need part 'B' of the same patent. A grappling device which is used to snag and unlock part 'A' grappling hooks.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

I agree that it isn't strong enough to shovel coal into a fire, I was thinking that it was for removing clinkers, retreiving hot coals to be placed in a foot warmer, or whatever other reason they would have to move hot coal. The wiry bars being used to sift the ashes. One of my tool books has three similar shovels, for coke, potatoes, and ice, but they're all reinforced in the front and have a hand grip on the end of the handle. Since it was marked as being a coal shovel, I'm going to go with that for now; I've looked but haven't been able to find one on the web like it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

"R.H." wrote in news:iodTg.6380$OE1.5062 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Rob, I have to echo what's been said before -- thanks! I look forward to your photos. I am usually in a fog about all of them, but it is a lot of fun. You've posted a couple of things I have sent in. Wish I had more to add.

Thanks again an keep 'em coming! Gary

Reply to
GLM

According to Charlie Wine :

That might be a use for the notches which I commented on. One rope to pull up the weight, and then another to pull up on both notches to open the jaws so you can pull it up.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

R.H. and I (Mark Brader) write:

That's still thrusting it into a pile of coal, though.

Fair enough. It's not like I've ever actually dealt with a coal fire.

Reply to
Mark Brader

Not necessarily under water. We had those things (phone company, early '80s) just as "finger savers". Seems it was a significant source of accidents, people having to manually open the grab jaws over a pole beforehand.

Reply to
dingbat

SNIP

Maybe not on the web, but I have one like it in my back-yard as a decorative item.. Bought it for 2 bucks at an auction, so I've no idea either.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

notches to be there.

I'll ask the owner of it how much it weighs. FWIW I changed the post on the answer page, I agree that it's most likely for wells, considering its size and the fact that no one has found a patent with the same date for a log grabber.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Unfortunately you can't search the early patents by keyword so I just ploughed through all the 500 plus patents listed on 12th November 1889. It finally turned up some 2 hours later about half way through.

-- Dave Baker

"Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

Reply to
Dave Baker

It's clearly missing its spring which would locate in the notches either side of the top of the arms.

-- Dave Baker

"Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Ontario, huh....ever do any ice fishing? What did/would you use to clear the ice from the hole?

Reply to
Ted P.