What is it? CLXIV

The latest set has just been posted:

R.H.

Early bird gets first guess !

946 is a molding plane 950 looks like an ice shoe for horses 951 is a planetarium (starfield) projector
Reply to
Snag

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Me me!!! 946. A Thomas Falconer pough plane with a variable radius fence?

Best!!! Nautilus

bloodletting.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting> Karl

Reply to
nautilus

Here are my thoughts on 951:

The globe on the end looks like a small moon. That's no moon...it's a space station. It's too small to be a space station. I have a very bad feeling about this.

;-)

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

And may the farce be with you !

Reply to
Snag

951 is a planetarium projector.
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Here are my answers before looking at any other answers.

946. A beautiful old plane of some description. It obviously cuts an extremely thin kerf and is guided by the arced shoe. I am a bit confused by the arc, as I would have thought a straight fence would have allowed a straighter line - maybe that's the answer, the arc allows the iron to go around a curve.

947. Looks like a mobile anvil that would rest on a man's knee. No idea what the task might be - heading nails?

948. Spring loaded slater's hammer?

949. A clock work tool that wiggles the cutting blade. A power oyster shucker?

950. At 5" wide it must be a type of horse shoe, but I can't envision a need for the teeth and would worry about the horse cutting his own off feet.

951. Looks just like the star machine at the local planetarium that shines the constellations, etc. on the domed ceiling. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Gee the first one in a while that I knew an answer!

946 is a rabbit> The latest set has just been posted:
Reply to
RoyJ

According to R.H. :

946) A very nice example of a rabbit plane -- for making grooves an adjustable distance from the edge of the workpiece (as set by the adjustable fence.)

In this case, I suspect that it is for use by a cabinetmaker to produce grooves for sliding doors to operate in.

947) Perhaps to provide curved support for an elbow and allow it to pivot on the socket shown uppermost? It looks too small to accommodate a knee, but I think that it might accept an elbow and some padding. 948) Perhaps for a weldor to use chipping off slag? The spring controls how hard it hits, thus reducing the chance of damaging the workpiece? 949) Perhaps part of a lock? Seeing the other side might give more clues. 950) Looks as though it fits over the toe of a heavy boot, perhaps to aid in climbing an awkward surface? 951) Looks like a small version of a planetarium to me.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Slaughterhouse Captive Bolt Tool. But it obviously isn't in the other pictures. Perhaps some sort of tool used in tuning pianos?

950: One jaw of an animal trap 951: Planetarium projector
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

That and the planetarium projector were the only ones I could figure out. I didn't know what to call this one, but I could tell what it was used for. What a beautifully-made tool.

Or turn it upside down and it's a pan for a really BIG flintlock rifle.

A ball-peen hammer that stuck its nose where it didn't belong.

Yeah, I thought it looked like it fit on a boot, too, but I can't figure out what it would be used for -- but you could really kick the crap out of something with it.

Reply to
darkon

I was having trouble with my flash when trying to shoot the projector and didn't think of that, would have been a good idea. If I'm ever in the area again, I'll get a few more shots of it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.