What is it? CLXXVI

Brian Lawson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You need a reason? Maybe I'm just being "US-centric", but I can't imagine NOT wanting to have a miniature cannon that the sun sets off at noon.

George

Reply to
George Weinberg

I'd certainly like one that fires real cannonballs directed squarely at the little sod next door and set to go off every time he starts playing his bloody drums. This is rarely at noon however and more often than not in the early evening when there isn't much sun. How you'd arrange this to work with a magnifying glass I'm not sure.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The fire axe does look similar but the one on my site was marked "Bell System", though I can't say exactly how it was used.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I'm not familiar with that term, are try-pieces the same as go/no go gauges?

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Something a machinist makes to show his skill. May have no practical purpose.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Nope... that's not US-centric, pretty well everyone wants a miniature cannon. I know I do.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

Connect the magnifying glass up to a tympanum. Set up a ring of photodetectors connected to an electric ignitor, and set up the glass so its focus is in the center of the ring. Drums make noise, glass shakes, moves focus to photodetectors, ignitor fires, canon goes off :-)

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

I'd think a multi-purpose tool like that would be a field or lineman's tool rather than a central-office tool.

This site indicates it's a lineman's hatchet:

they don't know what the hatchet blade is for either.

One person on this forum claims the blade was used for blazing the poles (to mark them for replacement)

Matthew T. Russotto

This is on Ebay at the moment. May be related to yours.

Dave Baker