What finish?

I am refurbishing a high chair. What I need is recommendations for a finish. I need something safe if the baby is teething and bits on the wood. I don't want to use paint of any kind. What do you suggest?

Paul T.

Reply to
PHT

Most any varnish is safe after it has cured.

Reply to
Leon

Shellac. Tom

Reply to
tom

A high chair needs to have a finish that can stand up to repeated washings and disinfectants. Waterlox is tough as nails, thin enough to wipe on, and like Leon said, safe after drying.

DonkeyHody "Never kick a pulling mule."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Tung or shellac. Both are used for food packaging.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Yes, it has been proven that "nearly" all film finishes are non-toxic when fully cured. However, if you want to be very safe you can use this product from General Finishes

manufacturer makes a specific claim of food safety and non toxicity. It is an easy wipe on type finish and very durable. I used it on some Sushi boards (Gita), the little wood platters with the cool sliding dovetail legs and it has held up well in a commercial environment where they get washed all the time. It seems about as tough as poly. I had some drips and had a bitch sanding them out.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Shellac is approved for use on food (i.e. M&Ms). While it may not be as tough as some other finishes, it's easily repaired by just wiping on another coat.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Thanks to all for the finishing suggestions.

Paul T.

Reply to
PHT

I third the Waterlox.

**
**

B A R R Y

Actually, you can just wipe it with denatured alcohol for minor repairs.

Reply to
Bob W