What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

On Jun 11, 1:45=A0am, Larry Jaques

Problem is, that when people try to imagine what an air tank failure would look like, their imaginations become filled with fuel/grenade/ gasoline/actionmoviebullshit type explosions.

The escape of normal (135psig?) air pressure out of a failed metal tank will not be accompanied by a full perimeter failure releasing a rather benign quantity of stored energy. It will release in a fart- like measured amount. It will be a big howling puff, but no bang, and any shit flying will be because of the startle factor, not due to released energy.

For giggles, my mechanic and his friends hooked up a motorcycle inner tube to a 165psig line in a garage and just let it get bigger and bigger. So big in fact that a huge hernia appeared which became almost see-through thin. When it failed, it made a bang, much louder than a balloon, but not mortar launch grade. The flying remnants did knock over a beer, much to the chagrin of one the participants. Yes alcohol was involved. No blown-out windows. The hose-end with the metal nipple did fly around for quite a while till the main valve was shut off.

Reply to
Robatoy

NOW yer snippin'.

Like watching the guy plant a single ounce of C4 with a detanator and then seeing (and hearing) seventeen discrete charges blow up the house, all from 3 angles? Yeah, that's them.

Wow, whose farts make your ears pop? No...I don't want to know. Maybe I _won't_ visit Canada.

That was probably not more than 3bar, not the 10 we're talking with a compressor. But the point is made.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Jun 11, 12:14=A0pm, Larry Jaques

I'm usually pretty well toasted after 10 bars.

Reply to
Angela Sekeris

I HAVE TO learn to check and see who the hell used this laptop last......

Reply to
Robatoy

No. Weakest link in the chain (hole) breaks first, not the whole chain. The hole blows out the pressure. Worst that can happen is is shoots across the room like a rocket, not an explosion.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Hi, Angie. Have Toy take some nice pictures and email 'em, OK? Say, after 2 bars?

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wait until you see my last reply, suckah!

P.S: ...but if she's up for it... ;)

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Weiner style?

Reply to
Robatoy

Used to do mechanical QA on tubing. We pumped it full of liquid until it burst. One end was fixed and the other plugged and free and the whole mess was in a shrapnel proof cabinet. Goal was to get the burst pressure which, for the stuff we were testing, was in the neighborhood of 35,000 psi. First time I did one I got to 60,000 psi and pinholed. Let it sit for a while dropping, then it stopped around 50,000. Couldn't find the pressure release valve and hunted down the boss. Deal was you took an asbestos glove and wrench, reached in the cabinet and eased off the fixture until the fluid escaped at the fixed end. Told him I didn't sign up for that ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I ended up getting one of these:

got it for $60, so if it lasts a year or two, I have to be ahead of the game. I will be using it to inflate tires and basketballs and such plus a new roof. If it lasts thru the roof, anyways, I will have gotten my money's worth. It is a noisy little bugger but I can deal with it for 60 bucks.

I know it is a Chinese throwaway tool and, yes, it will certainly develop a leak sooner rather than later but I have no fears that it will explode. There is a relief valve and it works just peachy. Why are people so afraid of something that will (statistically) never happen? I know the quality is not top notch but if these things failed and actually BLEW UP, then I don't think HF would still be around. Nor would Crapsman or Campbell-Hausfeld or just about any company!

busbus

Reply to
busbus

I don't think I want to know what you meant by that.

I was thinking Penthouse style, unless you like much older women.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There is an 18 year difference between Ang and I, so 'older' isn't my bag.

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a more minutes of operation than seconds. Still works.

Reply to
willshak

You mean, like, why the hell do we let TSA get away with their nonsensical empire-building?

Reply to
Steve

Statistically or physically.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Ang and me", and where the -hell- are thos pics?

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think you misspelled "The Government", Steve. And Homeland Security owns the TSA.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ang and I need to go through and select which pictures are publishable.

Reply to
Robatoy

I want copies of those which AREN'T, got it?

-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ok, maybe I was giving TSA too much credit.

Reply to
Steve