HF Air Compressor Fitting Leak

I own an older model of this HF Air Compressor:

As far as I can tell, only the tank and frame are different, the gauge set-up seems to be the same.

In any case, the hose leaks at the quick release coupler on the tank if any "tension" is put on the hose. As soon as the hose gets just a few degrees from straight out, the fitting leaks. As far as I can tell it's the quick release coupler, not the hose that's the issue.

Is something that can be cleaned/adjusted or should I just replace the fitting?

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

In all likelihood, yes...

I'd seriously doubt HF spec'ed quality fittings...

--

Reply to
dpb

In news: snipped-for-privacy@15g2000vbz.googlegroups.com, DerbyDad03 spewed forth:

if its a HF quick release, absolutely. I've had many of them leak

Reply to
ChairMan

My old (cheapy) Campbell Hausfelt fittings leaked like that until I replaced them with some of the brass ones from Harbor Freight. I think unless you go with a domestic manufacturer you're going to have a few leakers get through quality control.

I will say that I am happy with the brass ones I have on there now.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Replace the fitting, but not on the compressor. Instead, put the coupling on a short length of hose screwed into the compressor outlet. The reason for this is that the compressor vibration will cause severe wear on the spud lower flange from the 3 retaining balls in the coupling and allow it to move enough to leak past the O-ring. On rather large compressors this will not be a problem, but it is on the budget models. Air fittings range widely in quality. No brand of air fittings has more loyal users than MIlton. They have a 90+ page catalog that can be DL'd which will take a lot of the mystery out of air fittings of all types. You can sometimes get a bit more service life from an old compressor by switching over to Milton's new high flow V-type fittings. Most of the body shops in our area have converted to keep up with HVLP demands.

Joe

Reply to
Joe