What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

Rumor mill says that HF vacuum cleaners are one of the few pieces of power equipment on the _first_ list. *grin*

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Some people think giving them _any_ credit would be too much.

-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Harbor Freight specs all thier tools to meet minimum requirements. In the case of a clamp, screw driver, hand wrench or other item of that type, disposable is ok if your on a budget. I have my share of junk tools for purposes that are "one time" or "Infrequent" use, and they are fine for that. When it comes to a big ticket tool like a compressor, table saw, drill press or the like . . . I always save up and go for name brand. I've never been sorry that I spent the extra money for a top grade tool, or at least the ones that matter. I ended up with a Rigid compressor, only for the fact that I plan to use it very infrequently, but still wanted a name brand tool to ensure a safety margin and some reliability. I don't even think of Harbor Frieght when I am considering a serious purchase. Thier stuff is strictly for one time, very infrequent, or when it doesn't matter if the tool works properly. I did purchase one of the Mini Machine lathes they sell . . . And it operates just like the piece of junk I paid for . . . But it did manage to do the job it was bought for, even if it took twice as long to get the accuracy that a good machine would have achieved with very little effort. Working with Harbor Frieght tools is like sawing wood with a dull blade . . . You may eventually get the job done, but it won't look be easy, and the result may not be what your looking for. But then . . . are you building a birdhouse or a church?

Reply to
kaylward

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a spe cial sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it in and t ried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it came on. The n it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my receipt to take it b ack. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am thinking Harbor Freight is not on t he up and up ?

Reply to
grandkidsrno1

It looks like a direct drive (no belt). Those tend to be very noisy. I had a similar one and it later needed a part. It took 2 months to get it as it had to come from China. Sold it and bought a used belt driven one and have not had any problems with that one.

Reply to
G. Ross

Sounds like it was a return and the as is was intended on getting rid of it, maybe for parts.

Reply to
woodchucker

Take the motor off and see if it runs for 20 minutes w/o a load, the motor might be the problem. If not, then find out what is going on in the compressor section. Take that apart might be a bad ring.. they use rubberized, (silicone o, teflon, or others for rings and that's how they stay oil free. Maybe the ring broke and is binding.

Reply to
woodchucker

Was there a sign stating that it was as-is? If not, I'd take it back and argue the point. HF is particularly good about returns. If they don't take it back without questions, buck it up the chain.

Reply to
krw

I'm thinking you were asleep at the switch. When the price sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Deep discounts from their already "discount" prices are almost always "as is".

Reply to
clare

I bought a similar HF compressor years and years ago. When it arrived the starting capacitor had become disconnected in shipping. Fixed it and the compressor has worked fine every since.

Also, does it has oil?

Reply to
Ralph

I am wondering if you guys should just call the OP and see if he is still alive. Responding to posts that are nearly THREE years old aren't always productive use of your time.

Of course, he could still be waiting to hear from you...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

LMAO ...

Reply to
Swingman

And probably running out of breath. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------- Picked up a case of upstate New York cabin fever Bunky?

Only a couple of more months.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Mike Marlow" wrote

, > just want to be able to pee out on my front lawn again...

You can now, as long as you don't stand still too long and pee ice cubes!

Reply to
Morgans

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Ahh, my problem, too!

Look for the silver lining in that dark cloud...

It does warm up your feet!

Reply to
Morgans

I have used a central pneumatic 3-gallon air compressor fo r three years for my little car. It is best portable and small but energy e fficient. But I need a big model from my current models such as 8 or 10 gal lons. Which will be suitable for my little car?

Reply to
aliceangelica.it

On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 3:18:25 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

for three years for my little car. It is best portable and small but energy efficient. But I need a big model from my current models such as 8 or 10 g allons. Which will be suitable for my little car?

Don't know about the 10 gallon compressor. I think HF has two 8 gallon mo dels.

I've used the Model 69667 for a few years.... no problems with it. I just bought another for my Mother's home, so that I don't have to load/carry min e, there. Assembly is easy, 5 minutes. This model is on sale for $99 at my local HF.... might be on sale at your local store, also. I think a few years ago it cost $129.

It has to be plugged directly into the wall outlet, otherwise it won't run properly. If you want to use an extension cord, get one with 12 gauge or larger wire. 14 or 16 gauge wire is not sufficient. A 12 gauge wire cord needs to be 15' or less, in length, or the compressor won't work properly. I bought (Walmart - $25) an 8' 12 gauge wire surge protector power strip for Mom's compressor. Larger than 12 gauge wire will allow for using a lo nger than 15' cord, but I don't know a maximum length/range.

From what I've heard/learned, DIYers don't think/remember to drain the wate r from their tanks, hence, they end up having related issues with their "wo rk".... or have some sort of moisture issues for particular uses. Remembe r to drain the tank, often. There's a drain valve on the bottom of the ta nk. And use a catch basin, when you drain it.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny