kerosene, jet fuel and diesel fuel are *more or less* the same thing.
reasonal substitutes for shop tasks like degreasing parts are paint
thinner and turpentine. and WD40. the same stuffs are sold as lamp
oil, parts degreaser and prolly under a bunch of other labels.
all of the above are fairly oily solvents and can be loosely
interchanged. I wouldn't put turpentine in my jet engine or thin paint
with WD40, but they will all work fine for unsticking rusty bolts.
Lamps, as you suggest, and for heat: A portable kerosene stove
stopped us from freezing during one viscious winter storm. I also
happen to have an old Coleman lantern that will work of either white
gas or kerosene.
Reason? Cost = Cheap.
Kerosene has so many "uses" because folks used to have it around. It
is very similar to mineral spirrits (paint thinner) and can be used in
a similar manner. Since mineral spirits is usually cheaper if you
don't have a place that sells it in bulk I use that.
One not mentioned is mixing it with straight 30w oil as a cleaner
preservative for metal. It works better than either one alone.
I too use kerosene for removing light rust. With a rag lightly
dampened with kerosene you can wipe all your tools to keep them from
rusting. Kerosene has many uses. It is effective in removing tar
from vehicle finishes, without harming the paint. I've used it to
remove paint/finish from my hands. Best of all, kerosene is has very
Technically, kerosene is a "light petroleum distillate".
As such, it will:
(1) function as a solvent for most hydro-carbon-based "goop" -- be it
tree-sap, coal-tar, Vasoline, asphalt, or whatever.
(2) combust readily -- much less volatile than 'gasoline', so you don't
have (at least not to anywhere nearly the same degree) evaporation
problem from unsealed containers. Well suited for lamps, etc. with
at least 'semi-open' fuel reservoir. Also for 'smudge pots', used
in fruit orchards, etc. to prevent frost damage.
(3) function as a lubricant. It _is_ an oil -- it *does* have lubricating
In *small* quantities, it is also used as a substitute for "medicinal"
It is a "volatile" hydro-carbon. Given time, it _does_ 'evaporate', except
for any impurities that may have been in it. This makes it useful for
various kinds of 'cleaning' functions.
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:03:08 -0000, firstname.lastname@example.org
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:
Hydrocarbon products are poisonous and carcinogenic. If you make a
statement like that, you need to supply the source. Otherwise it's
unconscionable, and please define "small dose" in the event that
anyone who takes you at your word decides to give it a try on their
mother in law or little brother.
No it's not. It's a carbohydrate. That indicates further that you
don't know what you're talking about, and that people should be
cautious about your advice. Kerosene is a mixture of hydrocarbon
I don't want you in my email. That has nothing to do with the fact
that you make false statements here and don't defend them [I asked for
a reference to support your claim], but try to twist it into another
topic about preference for privacy.
Once more ...Do you have any reference to your claim about using it
instead of castor oil [which is a carbohydrate]? If not, you still
need to change your reply to avoid giving people dangerous advice.
I'll admit that if they take your advice they're not the sharpest
knife in the drawer, but you'd still be culpable. What you offer is
dangerous advice. Also, even "small enough amounts" add to large
amounts if taken over a period of time,as is done with castor oil.
Which reminds me, again, how small is "small enough" without getting
philosphical about it?
No, it's a triglyceride, a bonding of one glycerol and three fatty
acids (two of oleic acid and one of palmitic acid, for olive oil for
example). Carbohydrates are things like sugars and starches.
Note that vegetable oils *do* become slightly carcinogenic when heated
beyond their "smoke point".
Fatty acids and gasoline have remarkably similar chemical formulas:
H H H O
| | | |
| | |
H H H
H H H H
| | | |
| | | |
H H H H
Can't argue with that. The point is that hydrocarbon compounds are
generally toxic and carcinogenous.
But then the chemical structure has been changed, and it is not what
it was. Breaking and reforming bonds is all the difference in the
world, and you must know that even seemingly small differences in
chemical structure can make all of the difference in the human
chemical factory, which takes us back to the main point again.
If one knows their chemistry , they would know that diesel,gasoline and
kerosene is all made from crude oil ,which is a prehistoric remains of
oils from plant/animal materials which over time has aged to crude
waiting for us to find it and put it to good use.
On a side note the first successful internal combustion engine was built
in Germany in the 1880's and the inventor was named Diesel but the
engine ran off of either peanut oil or vegetable oil but they found out
later it worked better with a refined crude that we all now know as
You mean hydrocarbon products like estrogen and testosterone? A
"hydrocarbon" is any substance composed of hydrogen and carbon--there are
many hydrocarbons which are produced naturally in the human body. Some are
toxic, some are pretty much inert, some have very specific effects
necessary to life.
and is great as a lubricant for "oil-sharpening" stones.
In fact, IIRC Krenov used it. I've used it with the
carborundum rough grey stones and it works a treat.
I grew up with kero-fueled refrigerators, lamps and stoves.
The old pressure lamps worked a treat with it.
Back in those days in the middle of Africa there wasn't
another readily accessible and cheap source of power
aside from petrol.
In Portugal, not too many years ago it was used
to help people with a persistent cough. In cases of TB,
asthma and others.
Swallowed a couple of mouthfulls of it as a kid (mid 1950s)
when I got into the fridge tank. Didn't harm much.
Would I survive it again? Most likely not: OH&S being what it is
nowadays, some well-intentioned moron has probably added poison to
kero to make it unpalatable or disgusting, for "safety" reasons...
Yup. It is great on wheelnuts to make sure they don't "stick".
And I do remember seeing it used on rags at the school in
the machine shop, for all sorts of "quick wipes".
It is a great "rust stopper": leaves an oily residue.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.