What are these Delta hybrids?

I received a new Tool Crib catalog yesterday and hadn't looked at one in a while. Anyway I saw 3 different saws that look like Unisaws: ones labelled "Unisaws", another marked "cabinet saw" and then a third type "hybrid saws" Other than the motor I can't see what the differences are between these. Are there differences (other than the motor)? Anyone using the cabinet or hybrid saws?

Reply to
Dukester

Yeah - the DW746, I think, started the trend. Jet's hybrid is their SuperSaw which I have. Contractor style trunions, 1 3/4 HP typical, etc. Yet motor in cabinet like a cabinet saw.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Actually, if we consult the ancient text the first "true"

*hybrid* was a Delta (1).

Now this saw lasted only two and a half years on the market.

Later, in the 90's, Delta released another Contractor'sSawInnaBox/WantsaBeAUnisaw and that lasted up until the turn of the century.

In the mean time, after Delta released their 90's version, Jet released their version of the saw (onna 'count of Jet doesn't design/they copy) and it has been in production non-stop.

DeWalt did come out with the "newer" design that Jet again borrowed designwise.

Now Delta is seeing the parade rush by and has again released a Contractor'sSawInnaBox/WantsaBeAUnisaw but I believe there's some Orion (2) blood mixed in.

(1) It's hard to say that Delta started the trend. Over the years there have been many Contractor'sSawInnaBox/WantsaBeAUnisaws by other makers like Atlas, Walker-Turner and King-Seeley (Craftsman). Most are/were pretty good saws.

(2) Orian makes the Contractor'sSawInnaBox/WantsaBeAUnisaw for Sears. Orian is made up of ex-Delta employees and there's some sort of thing going on between Delta and Orian. In fact I think if you were to field strip both of their machines you'd find a healthy dose of mixed spit in there.

Unisaw A-100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

The Unisaw is the Unisaw and pretty much the same saw as you'd a found last year and the year before that and the year before that and, well, you get the idea.

The Industrial Saw is a copy of the Unisaw made in Chiwan. There are very minor cosmetic changes for the most part and two major changes. One being that the proprietary motor mount is gone and replaced by a mount that will take non-proprietary motors. The other is that the arbor is removable. The latter is a mystery as Delta hasn't made available any auxiliary arbors. It could be that they want to Euromarket the saw in which case they'd outfit that model with a short arbor so no one there can use a dado blade.

The *Hybrid* saw is a Contractor'sSawInnaBox. It's essentially a contractors saw with the motor hung below and the top sitting on the trunnions/the trunnions hung from the top.

There! Clear?

Unisaw A-100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

Cool... I stand corrected and educated.

I shudda known that there's really nothing new under the sun these days. 'Cept TIVO...

Reply to
patrick conroy

Give me time.

Unisaw A-100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

UA100 notes:

removable. The latter is a mystery as Delta hasn't made available any auxiliary arbors. It could be that they want to Euromarket the saw in which case they'd outfit that model with a short arbor so no one there can use a dado blade.

Reply to
Charlie Self

"hybrid saws"

Reply to
jevincent

Don't bother holding your breath for one of these Black and Decker hybrids...I ordered one back in February.

Last week I got a call from the distributor where I purchased...they're now reporting that it won't be available until mid-June at the absolute earliest.

Grizzly got a call from me last Saturday, and my G1023SL is being delivered to my doorstep tomorrow morning.

Reply to
Mark Cooper