What are the reasons so few modern planes measure up to the old one?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

John B wrote in news:4UCAf.223934 $ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Greetings....

You have to let her think its her idea...when I make something for the house...which is mostly what I do anyways...sometimes I employ the time honored..."new project...new tool" rule, A typical example might be...she sees a commercial or advertisment...and wants you to make one for her...you say "Well Honey, I would love to...but I would need a < insert tool name here > to make that...and I don't have one..

Most of the time you will get the tool...and you both win...she gets the furniture and you get the tool...

Hope this helps...

DCH

Reply to
DCH

"DCH" wrote

When I was a young lad, starting out, I would often do projects just to buy a much needed tool. I worked for cheap in those days. But I was able to put together a shop in my spare time without much outlay of my meager funds.

That standard line of, "But I need a (insert name of tool here) to make this item" became my mantra. One funny thing that happened a couple of times was that people would show up at my shop and demand a demonstration of the newly purchased tool. I gave it to them and they were satisfied.

I would never put up with that kind of nonsense now. But when funds are short and tool lust is strong, we will do all kinds of thngs to improve our shop capacity.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I used to live in an old farmhouse in Goode, VA that had no joists under the first floor...4' centers with white oak logs that had been adzed or otherwise smoothed on top. The rest of the house was a mess.

I got burned out of a neat cottage back in '84, solid brick except for floor joists, single layer floors and 2x10 joists over a 19-1/2 span. You thought you were on a trampoline. Entrance to the basement was by swinging through a basement window set about 3' below ground level. House was built in '55,

1855. All sorts of neat features, including 13" thick exterior walls, a doubled kitchen to DR wall that was about 30" thick and a 39" thick wall between one bedroom and another, and between the living room and the DR. The fire started in the wiring in the LR, and the 39" thick wall saved my life, as one old lady saw the fire start about 4 a.m. in the LR, and I didn't wake up until 7.

I know awaken at 4:00 every day.

Reply to
Charles Self

Another point, here, too: the houses that stand, as goofy footed as they may be, are the good ones. Everything else has collapsed.

Reply to
Charles Self

Wedding announcement in today's Roanoke paper: nice looking couple, so you wouldn't suspect...the woman has her MBA, the guy is finishing his up.

Reply to
Charles Self

Someone stole both my Stanley router planes a few years ago. I've got an ECE, but will have to look into the Veritas.

Reply to
Charles Self