A while back, a friend of mine and fellow wrecker named Mark from across
the pond introduced me to the concept of using wedge clamping to hold
together a mitered box during glueup. It worked like a charm and I have
used that method since then on a few other small boxes with great success.
However, the setup involved each time has been somewhat of a hassle.
The biggest time consumer is making the base each time. I've got to get
four chunks of wood, make sure the faces are dead square, then screw
them to a base making sure they are all at right angles to each other.
Sure, it's not a huge amount of work, but that's a lot of drilling,
squaring, and screwing for a one-off jig.
So this morning, I got to thinking there must be a better way. I came up
with the idea of drilling a grid of 1" holes (spaced 2 inches apart on
center) into a 2X12x18" chunk of pine construction lumber that has been
face glued to a ~3/4x12x18" thick piece of slippery countertop material.
To change the spacing, I can just move 1" dowels around then keep a
handful of various thickness loose blocks around to use as spacers.
I've got all the supplies, and am ready to do the glueup, but I figured
I would toss the idea out to the wreck first to see if anybody spotted
any critical flaws in my plan or if anybody had suggestions on improvement.
Here is a drawing (top view) to give a better example of what I mean.
One thing you can't see from the drawing is that the mitered box,
wedges, and blocks will all be about the same height (2"-3"):
Thanks a bunch,