Way OT: F150 belt change, better performance

I have a 2013 F150 six cylinder, with 90K miles. The belts squeaked and I had the serpentine and AC belts changed. I am amazed at how much better the truck is running. I wouldn't think that would make a difference with performance. What am I missing?
Thanks!
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:07:50 -0700 (PDT), Michael

That this is a woodworking group.
--
Jerry O.

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 15:02:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net (Jerry Osage) wrote:

That's true, but there aren't many groups left with even semi-technical people. Those who repair their own woodworking equipment are more likely to repair their vehicles than most people.
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 18:27:54 -0400, ads wrote:

The squeak may have been triggering the knock sensor, knocking back the timing which would definitely hurt performance.
I'm saying MAY - and it is about the only thing I , as a retired mechanic, could think of that COULD cause it.
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 6:00:46 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

Thanks, Clare! I would never have known that was a possibility.
Mike
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:07:50 -0700 (PDT), Michael
Is it really running better, or does it just sound better (tighter)? I also have a '13 with about 93K. It doesn't sound bad at all. It's been a really good truck. Living its life in the South helps a lot.
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 6:12:16 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

It's running better. Before, it kind of dragged when I stopped and started, but now it really hums and goes. These F150s are really great trucks. I used to always drive V8s, but the truth is I really just need a six to haul wood here and there.
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 20:47:44 -0700 (PDT), Michael

A slippy belt will definitely cut down the charging rate and a low battery will make it sluggish starting
On 8/11/2019 2:07 PM, Michael wrote:

Slipping belts can affect many things. Alternator not providing enough voltage, water pump not cooling properly.
Add a racing stripe and gain 15% more HP.
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 8:09:21 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Washing the truck helps too.
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 17:59:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Now, that's a bridge _too_ far!
wrote in message wrote: >On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 8:09:21 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Now, that's a bridge _too_ far!
Talcum powder will reduce its drag co-efficient.
Dave in SoTex
On 8/14/2019 3:52 PM, Dave in SoTex wrote:

Oh no, spray the body with silicone, let the painters deal with it later. ;~)
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 7:09:21 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Leon,
It must have been a slipping belt that made the difference. Now to price those racing stripes . . .
On 8/11/2019 10:48 PM, Michael wrote:

;~)
I recall many years ago my alternator belt was slipping on an already under powered vehicle and it was really sluggish.
New belt, found lost power. I added stripes later. ;~)

I've only ever replaced a V-belt or serpentine belt as a precaution - when it looked like it was aged-out. I can't understand how a belt can do much slipping without a whole-lotta-noise or failure ? My only odd-ball and hard-to-diagnose situation - was an intermittently squealing serpentine belt that was still in good condition - tensioner was fine - it turned out to be a tiny tiny < hot temp. mist spray > leak in the coolant reservoir ! When the engine heated up and built up a tiny bit of pressure in the coolant reservoir - it sprayed onto the belt / pulley and caused the slight slippage and noise .. That's where I learned the trick to diagnose a squealing belt - as opposed to a idler / alternator .. bearing noise. When it's sitting there idling & squealing pour a tiny bit of water - a teaspoon ish - over the nearest pulley - If the squealing goes away immediately - gotta be belt noise. If it was bearing noise - a few drops of water wouldn't have that effect .. ps : Clare one of the very few mystery problems on my several olde Taurus Vulcan. John T.
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:39:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Had the "mini-pisser" leak in the upper rad hose of my 1989 3.0 liter AeroScare coming home from Huntsville one nasty cold blowing winter night. Thankfully I had a jaclknife and a tool to fit the hose clamp. Cut off about 5/8" of rad hose and put it back together - no more leak. The water trick for checking belt noise goes WAY back - learned that as an a pprentice back in 1969. On V belts a bit of soap in the water helped - on serprntines that can either shut it up or turn the sueal into a howl!!!!!