Waxing your finished project.

I read recently that you can paste wax your already finished project. Now, my question is, what kind of finishes can you put wax on top of? I always finish my projects with polyurethane. Can this be waxed? And what kind of wax? I think the article I read talked about paste wax. I have some paste wax that we use on our hardwood kitchen floor. Will that work? Yeah, yeah, I know: try it on a scrap piece first. And I will, but as I have limited combinations of finish to try, I'd like to avail myself of your vast pool of knowledge, too.

Thanks, everyone!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Phillips

Good question, good reason. I'm in the same boat. Will watch the answers here. Ed

Reply to
Ed' stuff

You can put wax over just about any finish. Regular old paste wax works fine or you could use car wax if you were so inclined. I use Trewax and add a little mineral spirits to make it softer. Put it on, let it dry to a haze and then buff it off.

Reply to
PM6564

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Any finish can be waxed and will benefit from it.

While wax isn't much of a protector in itself it will lubricate the surface of a finish and slow the build up of micro scratches a finish tends to collect in day to day use.

Reply to
Mike G

And what's wrong with car wax on a finished project?

Reply to
Norm Underwood

Reply to
Bob Bowles

I haven't had any problems. I've used paste wax and Watco Satin Wax on polyurethane with good results.

Reply to
Jay Windley

Don't use Butcher's Wax. I was told it was a carcinogen. Liberon makes the best waxes you can find, and their 4xo steel wool is the best applicator.

Rennaisance, Black Bison, the more expensive waxes. More $ for a reason. They are better.

Reply to
DarylRos

If you're going to refinish it in the future, you're going to have to strip the exising finish which will remove all traces of the silicone. The only time you need to worry about silicone is on something that has not had its final finish applied yet.

Reply to
Norm Underwood

DarylRos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m25.aol.com:

So is a lot of other stuff we use in the shop. I use Butcher's wax and like it, and will probably keep on using it. Come to think of it everytime I turn around something else gets labeled a carcinogen. I am starting to think that a lot of the carcinogen findings depend on the number of research projects that have been commisioned by the personal injury lawyers in a given year.

Reply to
Michael Burton

Kerf's is food grade, it can't be too hazardous.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

Reply to
Robert Levister