Wax problems

Hi all, until now, I have mainly done turning and have used paste wax without a problem. however, I have just completed my first 'proper' table. The top was lovingly oiled and wet sanded for a week and was looking pretty damned good. I then waxed it with Black Bison clear wax. The finish in places is very good, but there are a lot of swirl marks that I can't seem to get out, and a generally inconsistent finish.

I've tried applying the wax with a cloth and 0000wire wool, but the same happens. I've tried leaving it for 5 mins, 20 mins and 2 hours, but the same happens. I've tried doing small patches, and doing the whole thing at once.

Please help! Richard W

Reply to
Richard Williamson

Hi Richard,

My first thought was "bloom."

That just means water that was trapped in the finish. Was the humidity very high when you applied the wax?

In any case, I would take a soft cloth, rub the table down, and then wait... Several days. If it is bloom, the problem may just fix itself as the trapped moisture dries out (provided, of course, that you have a brief run of dry weather, or a heated shop etc.

HTH,

Reply to
Kenneth

Yeah, the stuff is hard! I used the dark wax on a mahagony table a while back and got a workout. . .Perhaps an old t-shirt dampened with mineral spirits would soften it and smooth it out.

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre
5 minutes is probably too long and the wax is drying before you get it off. The carnuba content is hard stuff and difficult to clean up once dry. Try just wiping it on and immediately off. Wax on, wax off so to speak.

Meanwhile you might try cleaning it up with a white scotchbrite pad on your ROS. The white is not quite an abrasive, just nylon and will generally provide the elbow grease needed to cut carnuba.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Whenever I have swirl marks from final waxing I get rid of them by putting a small amount of mineral spirits on the buffing cloth. Not so much that you remove the wax but enough to make the wax a little "runny". Let me say that I always have done this when I'm waxing over shellac. Not sure what mineral spirits would do to your oil finish.

Reply to
PSobon