Wax....

After moving to the great white north and seeing the bottom of my Johnson's paste wax tin, I started the hunt for more. Alas...while Johnson's have stopped making it, you can get it via mail (from their web site)...but only to a US address. Out of desperation, I bought a can of Minwax "Paste Finishing Wax" and grumbled all the way home.

After making four chess boards/boxes (pics will be on the web site after Christmas) I finished them all with four coats of wipe-on varnish, knocked the finish down with 4 ought steel wool until there was an even sheen of satin, opened the can of Minwax and prepared to work up a sweat.

Didn't happen.

Wax on, wait five minutes, wax off. Buff with an old diaper and wholly cow!! This stuff has twice the shine of Johnson's at about 1/4 the work...I was (and am) big time impressed!. Once it hardened it's like a shell that appears to actually have some protection ability.

I'm not totally convinced it works as well on the equipment surfaces, but I'll save the little bit of Johnson's I have left over for that. From now on, this Minwax stuff has earned a place on the shelf, and on my projects.

Not affiliated in any way, just wanted to share a little joy.... :). I love it when stuff works......

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Rob Stokes thus spake:

Yea, it happens so infrequently these days...

Reply to
Greg G.

Just used it as final finish on a mantle shelf that we stained, only. Nice soft shine. It came with ominous warnings about letting it come in contact with the skin and to not be breathing the fumes. Used rubber gloves as always and didn't smell anything unusual. Do you suppose the warnings are to forestall litigation?

Reply to
Tom

It's those aliphatic hydrocarbons - paint thinner. Three/four days and gone.

NOTHING can forestall litigation. Attorneys will do anything for a fee.

Overheard outside Johnny Cochran's door "no weapons of mass, yo gotta free his ass...."

Reply to
George

I've been using the MinWax stuff for a couple of years (also in the GWN).

Great on plane soles, the bed of the power planer, the table saw top, etc.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone