Water in wood

My wife and I bought a used dining room table several months ago. The other week I left a glass of ice water on it. Of course it sweated and left water on the wood. Now there are two raised spots on the wood.

Couple of questions:

  1. How to remove the "bumps"

  1. What kind of finish could I put on the table to prevent this in future?

From my very limited knowledge the wood appears to be oak. I say this because I have oak end tables and coffee table in my living room and the grain looks very similar. One thing - the only printed on the bottom of the table is "Made in Yogoslavia"!!

I am totally new to wood working. I am 58 yrs old and have done lots of painting in my life, but never anything like a good piece of furniture.

Thanks in advance

Butch

Reply to
Butch Hinton

Sandpaper. Start around 100 grit, move up through 150 and 180 to at least 220 to remove scratches. I'd do the whole surface of the table before refinishing.

Polyurethane or traditional varnish, let dry thoroughly and sand lightly (320 or higher) between coats. If you have a woodworking store (i.e. Woodcraft or Rockler) near you, I'd strongly recommend shopping there instead of a large home center - you should get better service, advice, and a better-quality product. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

A waterproof one. Like polyurethane.

Reply to