Warped trees

Just back from a trip to Arizona, and saw many old, dead trees that seemed to be twisted like an old wash rag. As if the tree died, then twisted as the dead wood aged.

Any ideas how or why this happens?????

Thanks to all,

Rich.....

Reply to
rich

Are you sure they were dead? :~) Many trees grow like that and look that way, especially in the desert. Slow growth and not too much protection from the wind. These trees are likely very old.

Reply to
Leon

Several decades ago my gf's uncle was mowing the lawn one afternoon, trying to get it done before the impending storm broke. As the clouds gathered it got so dark he had to turn on the headlights on the mower. Then woodchips started falling into his yard. He looked up and there was a tornado moving through the woods behind his house.

The next day it looked like a giant brush hog had cleared a path through the woods about 50 yards wide. with a surprisingly well-defined edge on both sides. Here and there a tree, or part of one was still standing in the cleared area, but twisted. So If those twisted dead trees were all in the same place, something similar may have happened to them

Or what Leon said.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Could have been desert ironwood... Very slow growth and I've seldom seen a straight trunk..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

wow. do you perhaps live somewhere where trees all grow with straight trunks? I mean, I've heard of such things, but.....

Bridger, in Arizona, where lots of the trees grow twisted....

Reply to
bridgerfafc

As do a lot of the people there..

One of the cooler things about AZ, IMO...