warning worth repeating

Wed, Feb 1, 2006, 8:23am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com burbles: Actually JOAT, a child or person who is drowning or choking makes no noise at all. Is that too blunt?

So? That just reinforces my point. If you can't hear the kid, that's the time to check on them.

JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.

Reply to
J T

Wed, Feb 1, 2006, 10:01am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jtpr) sayeth: You should know better.

Who should? The point it probably best stated by Mike Marlow's post.

JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.

Reply to
J T

That's consistent with "If you can't hear them, they're getting into trouble"

Reply to
Mike Reed

Any links to recommended hinge types? Or are these door closers, and not actually hinges?

Thanks!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Reed

Sorry MIke, I don't have any more information. Thank you for taking my word. News around here travels more by word of mouth than the media. The local paper comes out tomorrow. There may be something in there. I'll post if something comes up. The news was fairly vague on the TV. I have a friend who was on the first responder call but am not going to call her. I'm sure there are privacy rules. I wasn't able to find the story on KTTC. They don't have archives...or I can't find them. Maybe someone else can. Anyway, I'm not in the mood to search anymore (&*(&* dial up). The accident happened in rural Lime Springs, IA. Local paper is the LIme Springs Herald and the next larger town has the Cresco Times.

My objective in posting this was for some peace of mind. I'm sincerely appreciate those of you who stopped and thought about it and took the time to support my post. . I'm extremely disturbed by those of you who made such rude remarks to the point of calling me a liar and a troll. You also assumed no one was paying any attention to this child what so ever. It makes me nautious to think of the guilt this aunt is going through. Why on earth would somebody make up a story like this?!!! And use their real name and email to boot? Jana

Reply to
janahartzell

Uh, that creates the possibility of a child being locked in the trunk. Like when playing hide-and seek or being stuffed into the trunk by playmates or siblings.

In that regard the worst kind of lock is the sort that automatically locks when the lid closes.

Reply to
fredfighter

e.g.

's lots of others. DAGS 'lid support'.

Reply to
Doug Payne

Wed, Feb 1, 2006, 8:12am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com It was on the Rochester, MN news channel (KTTC.com). They usually have links to their stories.

Well, I've not found anything on it. Anyone else have better luck?

JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.

Reply to
J T

No lid on a toy chest, or sliding doors are great ideas.

If you do really good work the chest will outlive you and the people for whom it was built. So a solution that eliminates the hazard for children and is acceptable for adults is ideal. I like your the idea of simply setting a top on the chest, no hinges, no latches.

Personally, remembering the episode of Dragnet where Sgt Joe Friday read a junkyard owner the riot act (actually he quoted the applicable California code and section from memory) about the requirement to remove the latch from an old refrigerator, except for shipping trunks, I would not put a lock or latch on any chest or trunk big enough for a child to hide in. Cabinets tend not to be airtight.

Reply to
fredfighter

Probably because there are fewer examples of people who died becasue they were right or lived because they were wrong are a bit scarcer than vice-versa, politics excluded.

Reply to
fredfighter

Oh, learn something once in a while Fred.

George

Wed, Feb 1, 2006, 10:39am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com now sayeth: Sorry MIke, I don't have any more information. The accident happened in rural Lime Springs, IA. I'm extremely disturbed by those of you who made such rude remarks to the point of calling me a liar and a troll. You also assumed no one was paying any attention to this child what so ever.

Well, now that I got told the corect state, I was able to track this down.

I didn't see anything ther about getting knocked unconscious, etc. But, it doesn't say how the lid got unlatched, then open, either - especially with it automatically latching when the lid closed. Makes me wonder if the lid was already open.

My memory must be failing me - because I don't recall any remarks that "I" would have called particularly rude; and, I sure don't recall reading where anyone called you a liar, or a troll. Or even implied such. Maybe I just skipped over those parts tho. The article does say the aunt was getting ready for work, and the mother was napping, which to me, shows no one was really paying much attention. Sure makes me wonder about that chest tho.

No way you're gonna keep a kid from getting hurt. And, no way you can keep an eye on them 24/7. But, you can sure try to keep them safe from the lethal stuff. You got a little kid visiting, it's pretty much a given you go around, and put anything breakable, or dangerous to them, up and, hopefully, out of their reach. The kid visits often, you put kiddy latches on your cabinets. Shouldn't be too much of a stretch to lock a chest, or shut the door to the room it's in - at least make some sort of an effort.

JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.

Reply to
J T

Thanks. I'll write to them for more detail, unless you can find the direct link to the story to save some trouble. I need to know because I'm wondering about the forces involved. The one I built has slow-closers, and offset squares on the sides for ventilation. it is solid! Beech 1.5" square for corners. Top and bottom 1x2 Beech trim around 3/4" oak veneer particle board. Sides same oak filler. Overall size about 28" cube. It was intended for parents to store toys, not a 2 yr old. The offset squares for ventilation can be removed, and the spacers discarded then applied flush for future use. I originally thought of a hatchback closer from a wreckers [I got one for a couple of dollars], but that was way overboard. Lee Valley to the rescue.

Reply to
Guess who

Never mind. I couldn't find the link, so I've written.

Reply to
Guess who

OK - well that at least explains how everything happened. Closers wouldn't have helped this situation though. Looks like keeping the chest closed and latched would have been the only thing that would have prevented this.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

might be why he said to check on them if they're too quiet... Mac

mac davis

A public apology: I received news from the TV station verifying that this story was true, at least in part. The child was 'unconscious' [deceased through suffocation], but not knocked unconscious, and it was the mechanics of that which troubled me initially, trying to figure out how the lid would fall etc.. What did happen is that she was apparently trapped and suffocated. A sadness, to be sure, and why I put large openings in the sides of my granddaughter's toy box, with offset decorative squares of solid wood outside of them.

Reply to
Guess who

of a trunk or chest.

Reply to
fredfighter

Thu, Feb 2, 2006, 9:32am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net obtusely states: I don't see how those could be used to keep a kid out of a trunk or chest.

Because, as you know, it was posted in response to a comment about a kitchen cabinet, under the sink.

However, I've found the little plastic ones aren't good. They work, but my kids were able to open the door anyway, after watching once or twice, and trying on their own a very few times. I've found the flat, stainless steel type, are very much better. In fact I don't recall my kids getting past thosw ehen they were small at all.

I'm not about to look up a link, and this is as good a description as you're gonna get. It's a flat piece of stainless steel, about 1 1/2" wide and about 6' long. It's bent at one end, maybe 2', with a couple of screw holes. The other end had one larger hold. This is what the catch slips into. The catch is fastened on the bottom of the top (if that makes sense), and it seems it was a large headed screw. When you shut the cabinet, the catch (screw) slips into the hold. Then when the door opens, it's held by the catch, to about 2" open. You've got to push the door in just a bit, and push the latch down, clearing the catch (scres), and then you can open the door. Too far, and the screw hangs on the other edge of the hole. Not rocket science, but beyong a little kid. The plastic ones, basically, all you have to do is pull down on it, and viola, the door can open - not problem for a kid to do that. That's as much as you're gonna get.

JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.

Reply to
J T

But as you inow, didn't comment on a kitchen cabinet under a sink. I commented on locking a trunk or chest the same way you would lock a cabinet under a kitchen sink.

Those latches ( the SS ones you describe) sound good for their intended purpose but do not seem to be adaptable to a trunk or a chest so my comment still stands, that a trunk or chest with a lid that automatically locks when closed presents a suffocation risk for child who may climb inside.

Reply to
fredfighter