Special air inlet needed for Compressor?

I'm building a new woodworking shop (26' x 26') and framing is complete. I plan to install an air compressor (2 - 3 hp with an 80 gallon tank) and would like to know if I should plan a special air intake that draws outside air (I'm in Ontario Canada) into the compressor or should I simply use the air in the shop as the "feed" for the compressor? If I go with an outside air feed, what size of inlet should I provide? Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
Doug

I would not use outside air, reason being is that when it is raining or humid outside you are drawing that moisture laden air into the compressor. I am not saying that the air in the garage or shop would be much better, but in my opinion it would be more suitable to just use shop air. My compressor (Ingersol Rand) draws air from inside the garage. You want the air as moisture and contaminant free as possible.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

No need for outside air.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Two schools of thought. One, outside air will be quieter and the outside air will help keep the compressor cool. Also, the air being compressed has to come from somewhere. If it comes from inside, the shop will have air leaks bringing in other contaminates.

Inside air usually is lower humidity than outside and the you generate less water in the system.

I personally like having my compressor outside, under a shed roof. Plenty of shade and air circulation for cooling. My system for condensation removal is simple. I ran some 1" iron pipe up and down the outside (West facing) wall of my shop. Each section has a drip leg and a valve to drain condensation. This in addition to a automatic tank drain and one filter, provides me with clean dry air.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Just use the inside air but I'd recommend using extra large,fine filters to minimize sucking dust in....

Greensville Jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

What do you have for an automatic tank drain Dave?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike, Its a system I adapted from one of my shop's Champion Compressor. It's a timed system that looks like the Speedaire system.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Go to

and do a search for compressor drain. I have the $10.00 one and it has been working fine for three years.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

Yeah - I'm famiar with the HF system, I was just wondering what Dave used. I need to put a Harbor Freight drain on my compressor, but I just haven't gotten a round tuit. One of these trips down there, I'll actually remember to pick it up.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The air being compressed also has to be used somewhere. If it comes from inside the shop and is consumed in the shop there will be no "air leaks"

Reply to
djh7097

As long as you use the same amount of incoming air at the same time as you are compressing it. Not likely.

Reply to
Teamcasa