Warm Shop Shoes

I got my wife one of these from McMasterCarr. Nothiing says Merry Christmas like a foot pad under the computer table. She asked, she got, she likes. I wish I had order two for my shop. I injured my knee

5 weeks ago. It fusses when I am scratching my head for hours trying to figure stuff out in the woodshop. 69265T212 SUPER-SOFT ANTIFATIGUE VINYL SPONGE MAT, TEXTURED, 24"W X 36"L, 5/8" THICK, LIGHT GRAY
Reply to
Jim Behning

Nova

I use "anti-fatigue" mats in front of the bench and lathe, or any other place I spend a lot of time.. Keeps the cold off your feet and helps your back.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Anyone who's ever stepped on a nail would appreciate that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You have a lot of nails laying about on your shop floor? Isn't that a broom and a dust pan over in the corner...? ;)

The boots that Luigi finds workable for the Yukon just _might_ be a bit of overkill for someone who is looking for more warmth (not protection) than loafers.

I find that my legs get much more tired standing on concrete, and my tired legs feel the cold much more. Both good footwear and anti- fatigue mats will help. The anti-fatigue mats will also help regardless of the temperature and footwear.

RicodJour

No one plans on accidents, that's why their accidents. Seat belts and all.

Tru dat. I have a bunch of those 2x2 ones. They do offer lots of insulation. I use them for everything, including working under the car in the driveway.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Mikes idea about cardboard is a good one. I have done electric installations in new construction all concrete buildings in 5 degree weather. Stood on cardboard and feet did ok. But had to stop sometimes due to the hands getting very numb despite gloves. Warren

Reply to
WW

If Bob Marley had those on his feet.......

Reply to
Robatoy

Glen wrote in news:8cc45af2-91f2-41eb-843c- snipped-for-privacy@n10g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

I use wool sox and clogs in an unheated garage. There are two aspects that I think are important here - first, my clogs have thick, thick soles, so there is a lot of insulation between my feet and the floor. Second, and almost more important, my clogs are a loose fit, so there is no compression of the foot at all. This means that the full insulating thickness of the sox are available to insulate; the feet can breathe easily, and also kinda move around in the socks, and circulation in the foot is unimpeded. I also use Crocs clogs if there is no snow on the driveway between the house and the garage. The ease of slipping on and off, the comfort, and the warmth in relatively thin wool sox (Wigwam model 625 wool sport socks) are all very positive points for me. Finally, I most always wear a hat (good wool watch cap).

Reply to
Jim Willemin

Have a Farm and Ranch store nearby or anyplace that sells horse stall mats? For around $50 you can get a nice 3/4" thick rubber mat 4' x 6' or 8' made from recycled tires that gives you a great mat to stand on while working and will last a lifetime. You can easily cut this into smaller sizes and place them near the tools or bench where you work. In addition to the insulation value in the winter, your feet and legs will thank you all year long. Less stress and fatigue.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Thanks for the ideas. I already have anti fatigue mats around my workbench. I don't want to put more around because space it tight and it is hard to move around the mobile equipment on the pads. When I am working on the pads my feet do stay warmer, however, when I walk around the shop my feet get cold. Once cold, they never seem to warm up again. I think I will try the Scholls inserts.

Reply to
Glen

Actually, Glen did mention his duck boots, which are probaby almost as warm but a PITA to lace up all the time. Note that I also wear those boots in summer both in the shop and while gardening: I like the steel toe. They are not excessively hot in the summer. You can get them without the steel toe & save yourself $40.00 (but not necessarily other kinds of pain).

I also wear them while sexually harassing and hopefully murdering gentle innocent forest creatures.

Luigi Zanasi

Reply to
luigirecnorm

So, get some lace-in zippers and fit 'em to your duck boots. Quick-on, quick-off, and the duck boots won't track sawdust beyond the little cubby next to the shop door where you store them.

Zipper inserts for tall boots are available at shoe stores near military bases...

Reply to
whit3rd

Or go completely to meat powered tools... I'm always warmer in my shop while using my hand planes and panel saws. ;~) I also wear medium weight wool hiking socks inside Merrell insulated mocs. Easy on, easy off and the wool socks insulate and keep my feet dry of perspiration.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Hey Rob,

In answer to your question, getting better: I felt like shit since last Janaury, had a heart attack in June & am slowly recuperating. Haven't been in the shop for a long time. I've been lurking & finally figured out how to get on Google Groups. Say Hi to Dave Balderstone for me (and all the others who block google groups).

Reply to
luigirecnorm

Passed it along.

Shit, dude, that sucks. Glad to hear you're okay. I hadn't heard anything for awhile and thought that'd you'd write when you would get some llecktricity up there and maybe even intertubes. Then I thought maybe somebody pushed you off on an ice-flo.... or maybe malamutes got a hold of you..or...or..

Anyway, good to hear from you and that you're recovering. Make some sawdust soon, eh?

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

Yup, maintaining core temperature works surprisingly well. The old wives' nonsense of dressing more warmly and overing the head is worth a try. (I think it was mentioned but instantly blown off without further comment.) I wear an electric vest on the motorcycle, and the fingers and hands stay toasty warm in summer weight gloves. Overhead halogens work really well to warm the shop.

Reply to
MikeWhy

When the core gets cold, first thing the body does is restrict blood flow to the extremities, and blood is the oil of the body's radiator. Nothing is further out than the feet.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've got about the same situation as you do, but I DO work on a fatigue mat, and my feet still get cold.

I gave myself an early christmas present from LL Bean of

Sneakers! $60 and free shipping. I looked around at the usual places, farm and hunting stores, and couldn't find anything better/ cheaper.

I love 'em. They aren't too much bulkier than normal shoes, and my tooties stay toasty.

Also, I found that if I dress myself warmly around the upper body, my feet and hands stay warmer. When the trunk gets cold, the body reduces circulation to the extremities, and hoards the heat for the middle. On that note, a stocking cap keeps my feet warm. Interesting mental picture, right?

Old Guy Who won't work in his shop cause its 5 degrees there.

Reply to
Old Guy

Forgot to say that the LLBean shoes have a model with velcro closures.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy