Shoes

The lady of the house has her own walk-in closet (I make-do with a clothes tree and an underwear box beneath the bed). This closet has about five linear feet of unused wall space.

The lady has about 80 pairs of shoes.

I'm considering removing the sheet rock on these ten feet of wall space, priming and painting the innards of the space and erecting shelves for the shoes. I compute a 10x7' foot of wall space, with 6" shelf spacing, will be enough to contain about 120 pairs of shoes.

My question, then, is this: Will the sudden availability of shoe-space be a relief to the closet floor or will it inspire her to simply buy more shoes?

Reply to
HeyBub

Is your garage so full of stuff that the car sits outside?

Your question sounds like one for the Geico or Netflix commercials.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Stupid question.

What is it with *some* women and fu#king shoes? I keep the same shoes for decades. My wife needs a new pair every month.

Reply to
JimT

Andy comments:

Three principles in physics to be aware of :

1) The size of a computer program eventually increases to fill all available memory.. 2) Programs passed in Congress swell to use up all available tax revenue, as a minimum 3) Stuff in a wife's closet expands to fill all available space........

I suggest you just give her your clothes tree, underwear box, and dresser drawers instead, and keep your stuff in the garage. Women don't like to get dressed in a garage.......

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

Does a bear shit in the woods???

Reply to
Ken

Rhetorical question?

Whatever you do, don't scale up, there is no such thing as a reasonable limit.

Reply to
despen

"HeyBub" wrote

Thank you. I'll be sure to tell my wife how much I love her. She has four pairs of shoes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Organise a garage sale with the main attraction all those shoes. Benefit: Your spouse will be able to buy new ones.....

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Does the Pope shit in the Vatican? Nature abhors a vacuum and wives abhor an empty spot in the shoe rack.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Andy wwrites:

Kurt is right !!! And it gave me an epiphany of inspiration !!!

Just build your wife a small shoe rack !!!!

She'll fill it up and stop buying shoes.....

So simple..... and yet, so elegant....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS No thanks are necessary...... That's what I DO !!! :>))))

Reply to
Andy

Fail.

She will stack shoes in and around the shoe rack. Been there, done that.

Reply to
Jim T

Andy comments:

\ I bow humbly to a wiser voice of experience..... ..... Damn !!!!! There's goes my patent !!!!!!

:>))) Andy in Eureka

Reply to
Andy

Not the way it works. It is she who organizes all shelves and drawers...that drawer in your dresser where you keep the junk that doesn't have any other place can easily be filled with out-of-season shoes. That stuff under the bed can go to the garage and be replaced with shoe drawers. Having no room for my shoes and purses absolutely inspires me :o)

Reply to
Norminn

On Sep 18, 10:08 am, Norminn wrote: cessary...... That's what I DO !!! :>))))

Andy comments:

SIGH !!!!!!!

Reply to
Andy

Serious questions only please.

Before considering removing the closet drywall and turning it into workshop storage, replete with blue painter's tape and Sharpie labels, run it by the woman before she considers removing you from the picture.

RicodJour

The major factor in my divorce was organizing my husband's tools...he laid them down anywhere after he used them and when there was a good deal to be put away, I put them away. "Where did you put my tools this time?" He had a chest of drawers in the front clothes closet, given over to tools. I arranged the drawers according to type of tools and put most away in there...I could find them when I needed them, but kept my own under the bed in guest b.r. so's he couldn't find them. He didn't take care of any of his, so.............still got tools that belonged to my mom; dad had no use for them :o)

Reply to
Norminn

No, no, much more elegant. I would prime and paint the cavity, run some 1x4s thru the planer to get narrow shelves (stained and varnished), use oak trim (also stained and varnished), maybe even put in an overhead emphasis light like you see for works of great art.

I mentioned my plan in passing to SWMBO and she got so excited she began to quiver!

"You'd do that for ME?" she exclaimed while hopping up and down.

"Of course, dearest. That's what I'm here for," I explained.

"Oh goodie! Oh how sublime! I love you, I do!" she offered while twirling on one toe (had to dig out the ballet slippers first).

Reply to
HeyBub

Got a spare bedroom or guest room? Do a wall of pretty cubbyholes with a few drawers in there. If room is ever needed for company, all the shoes can be chucked into a couple of plastic bins and carried down into basement until company leaves. Shoes are light- a box of 3/4 plywood (like for a bookcase), with the sides kerfed to accept 1/2" horizontal shelves, and the shelves kerfed to accept 1/4" or even masonite vertical dividers, would work. Add a face frame if it needs to be pretty. Of course, if cost is no object, the 'design a closet' places all have all sorts of shoe storage wall units available.

Reply to
aemeijers

The idea was inspired a few days ago while we were getting ready to go out. The woman at issue was frantically flitting from one room to the other, like a cat on nip.

"What's the holdup?" I asked.

"I'm looking for my shoes," came back the answer.

"I don't know much about that sort of thing," I said, "but they're on your feet."

[Withering look] "Not THESE shoes, dummy! They don't match my (purse, hair color, nail polish, tan) or they are the wrong (season, size, heel height) or they (have buckles, do not have buckles, straps, bows, or miniature leprechauns counting gold coins), yak-yak-yak. I forget.

Sure enough, when we get to her cousin's house-warming, the cousing says "Yellow shoes with a blue dress? How gauche! Come with me, dear, perhaps we can find something."

I hung out with my cousin-in-law and a beer. We talked football. The subject of shoes never came up.

Reply to
HeyBub

That closet is her territory man keep your nose out of it. Let her worry about how things are arranged in there. Why in the hell would you even be going into her closet in the first place? You have no business in there whatsoever. I really hope your not in there trying on her stuff.

What would you say if she decided to rearrange your work room? That would border on justifiable. Men have important things to be considering. The state of a pile of woman's shoes does not even come close to warrant a mans consideration.

If you are looking to fulfill an urge to do some meaningful then build yourself a man room. Unless she's carrying your balls around in her purse I would suggest you start with a budget at least equal to what it cost you to fill her closet.

LdB

Reply to
LdB