Closet Cabinets

My wife wants me to redo our 10x15 master bedroom closet. Instead of buying those closet kits from HD we have decided to make this an education experience. I have some woodworking experience and quite a collection of tools.. Having never done cabinets before I was wondering what people recommend making the boxes out of... MDF? PB? PLY?

Reply to
Michael W

Well may I start off with the comment that I could easily put my master bedroom inside you master bedroom closet.

MDF machines and paints well and provides a smooth finish. But it is darn heavy and it can warp under its own weight. Cheap.

Paint grade plywood would be my choice trimmed on the front edges with a harder wood such as poplar and then painted.

Reply to
Leon

I must agree w/ Leon...My bedroom would fit into your closet. What train did we miss?

The things we own end up owning us...Tyler Derden.

Reply to
terry boivin

Is that a drive-by gloat?

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Dick Durbin

No, its a drive-in closet... :)

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Nope.. but telling you that my master bedroom is 600 square feet is.. ;>)

Reply to
Michael W

Echo, echo.

White melamine is excellent for this owing to its brightness -- closets don't usually get much natural light. In a 10x15, a skylight would be great.

I taped mine white, but a very nice look can be had by simply edging the melamine with a hardwood. Half-inch or 3/4" solid hardwood edging looks much better than hardwood veneer tape. For an even more elegant appearance, use a full face-frame construction. Cherry fronts on white melamine looks fantastic and is eminently functional.

When you plan the layout, make provisions for about 100 pairs of shoes. No kidding. She'll love you for it.

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

You married an Imelda too, huh? :)

Reply to
patrick conroy

Gott'a be Texas... Only place I've lived that knew how to put the "Master" in Master Bed, Bath and Closet.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I've got an article from Workbench (April 2003) that has plans for a closet system made from torsion panels. Horizontal pieces are made from a 2x4 frame and vertical panels are made from a 1x4 frame. All parts are covered in 1/4" ply and hardwood edging. The article shows this going into a "typical" closet of 2' deep by 6' wide, but if you can get a back-copy of Workbench you may see how to adapt this to your size.

Reply to
Jeremy

Thanks.. that sounds interesting. I may have to see if I can find that issue.

Reply to
Michael W

Actually I used to live in Texas but no.. I live in California now. Up near Napa.

Reply to
Michael W

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:20:31 GMT, "Michael W" calmly ranted:

It's 10x60' to hold that lap pool, right?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep. (G) But it's not just us. Inadequate space for the lady's footwear is a huge shortcoming in most closet designs. I *was* exaggerating a little, but the average American woman has 30 to 40 pairs of shoes.

We designed my wife's closet -- of which she graciously condescends to share a meager portion with me -- to accommodate 50 pairs, and it's full up. *sigh*

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I have to disagree with this statement in an offbeat way.

I believe more in the "You can't take it with you" approach...

Lets face it when was the last time you saw a Ryder truck following a hearse?

Sorry but it is 6:45 AM and I am firmly tongue in cheek and not quite awake yet!

Big smile though!

When sending me an email, erase the .removethis from my email address or the email will get bounced back to you.

Reply to
Whadyathink Imstupid

been there done that... our master has 2 closets... hers and hers..

When my brother's last kid moved out, he converted a bedroom to a walk in closet for his wife... rumor has it that he gets to use some of the space in the master bedroom closet now, if he can reach over the stacks of shoe boxes.. lmao

Mac

Reply to
mac davis