Veritas router plane cutters - follow up

Hi Folks,

I posted back in Sept or so that LV's customer service confirmed via email that the new router plane cutters were useable in the Stanley 71.

I promised a follow up when/if I got a set, so here goes.

Disclaimer #1: I'm not affiliated with LV in any way, other than as a satisfied customer

Disclaimer #2: I'm *far* from an expert on using a Stanley 71.

I've got the full set of three Veritas cutters, and an old 71. The 71 came off of ebay, so I don't know how old -- maple(?) knobs, and an '07 Patent date, if that helps.

Fit and finish of the three cutters was excellent, as would be expected.

For the two half-inch cutters (VEE and straight) - no problems at all. The cutters fit as one would expect; adjustment was straightforward. On mine, there's a slight cyclical bind from the adjustment nut (I assume it has a slight thickness irregularity). Not enough to be any issue at all, though. The blades are sharp, right out of the packaging.

The 1/4inch cutter has been slightly problematic. It seems that the slot that the adjustment nut engages, is slightly more narrow than the other two cutters. I measured it at about .152 vs about .156 from the original Stanley cutter that I've got. This causes the adjustment to be a little bit 'fiddly' -- there's more binding than the slight hitch I get with the two half-inch cutters; this also seems to prevent the cutter from sitting back onto the adjusting nut fully.

I've filed the slot slightly, and that's been a definite improvement. I'm not sure though -- I may be removing more material from the file than from the cutter slot (I'm using a cheapie HF needle file). I think a few more minutes though, will take care of it. Really - it's not bad, just more noticeable than the other two cutters.

Bottom line - I'm satisfied. The price is certainly right (~$22 for the set of three) - and even if it means a few minutes work on my part to fully coerce the one cutter to seat properly - it's not a big deal. If you are looking to replace cutters on a 71, I don't think you can go wrong here.

Oh, yeah .. I was able to cut some pretty nice routs in some scrap wood laying around.

Hope you find this useful.

Reply to
John Thomas

Yo thanks a lot for that. Just what I needed to know straight outathebloo! This is a topic I was going to ask here, when the time came.

Reply to
AAvK

Yes, and I asked in someone elses thread regarding that router plane and whether the bits were compatible with my #71:

early November... and posted another thread myself about the bits in December asking about angles for the bit bevels. Woodbutcher was kind enough to post both the angles and images of the manual.

Which reminds me, I promised to post a .pdf of the manual images:

to find that Lee Valley catalog with my customer number...

Thanks again, Woodbutcher.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Oh yeah, and uh, John Thomas (if that's your *real* name :).

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Enoch Root wrote in news:CJKdnYVwQYQPilneRVn- snipped-for-privacy@forethought.net:

'Course it is! And I do understand the derivation.

Reply to
John Thomas