Veritas 32 Cabinetmaking System

Was looking through the Lee Valley catalog for a system to drill holes for cabinet shelves.

The Veritas 32 system looks pretty slick - and spendy. Any other alternatives I should be considering? Seems like the ultimate shelve hole jig.

MN Guy

Reply to
MN Guy

A strip of peg board. Works fine.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Assuming that you're building euro-cabinets, the answer depends on how many units you're going to build. If it's fewer than a dozen kitchens, the Veritas 32 isn't a bad way to go. If you're going for more kitchens than that, you might consider a CNC capable to working with entire sheets of plywood/MDF at a time. If you find yourself making really large quantities, then you'll want to consider line-boring machines with enough spindles to drill all holes simultaneously (and for which a complete set of bits will cost more than the Veritas 32 /and/ any hand drill you might ever want to use with it).

If you aren't building euro-cabinets, you might consider using the Veritas shelf drilling jig (I have one and like it) in combination with some shop-built jigs.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Ditto. May have to replace occasionally but otherwise, works great.

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

Thanks for the input. The few dozen route is the one I'm on. Looking for something a little more accurate and stable than pegboard. I'll check out the shelf drilling jig a bit more - less expensive too.

Thanks agin, MN Guy

Reply to
MN Guy

Don't sell short the accuracy and stability of pegboard as a drilling template. For a one time shot at doing a kitchen it's a hard solution to beat. There's more than one way to use the pegboard as a template. You can tape it to the material you're using for your cabinet sides and drill through the holes - and that will work just fine.

Or, if you're using a drill press, you can tape a piece of pegboard down on the table and insert a dowel in one of the holes such that the bit is positioned where you want to drill the first hole. Lay your material on top of the pegboard so that it butts up to the dowl and drill. Move the dowel to the next hole, increment the material up to the dowel and drill again... until you're done. Works fine.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Here's an alternative that has a lot of versatility. I've been quite happy with mine.

Charley