Using electric planer

Just bought my first electric planer.

I'm not managing to get an even plane throughout the length of the wood beam I'm planing. I think I'm going to have to clamp a length of wood to the side of the beam I'm planing and use the rebate feature using this wood. I suupose that what folks do to ensure the plane will not go below a level determined by the rebate setting.

Reply to
Rich

Is this a hand-held planer or a large one you feed boards through.?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I can see that if I clamp a length of wood adjacent to the wood beam I'm planing, I can use the rebate feature to limit the depth of how much I plane off the beam. And so get an even plane along the length of the beam.

Reply to
Rich