Update: chemical for electrolysis rust removal

In a recent post I mentioned some other sources for chemicals and chemical analysis for electrolysis rust removal--in the event that others, like myself, had a hard time finding "washing soda".

The other day I bought a 2 lb canister of 100% sodium carbonate for $3 and change at Lowes. Look in the pool section (the one I checked had it in the covered outdoor section) for Spa-Kem pH Plus.

Regards, H

Reply to
Hylourgos

snipped-for-privacy@sewanee.edu (Hylourgos) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Same difference as between 6 and half a dozen.

Reply to
Han

Han,

I have no idea what your point is. If you mean that the Na2CO-3 is the same in both, it isn't. Arm & Hammer washing soda contains other ingredients. It's got one of the highest concentrations of Na2CO-3, which makes it ideal for electrolysis, but it's also got detergents--which may or may not be helpful in electrolysis. They probably don't affect it much either way since many have used it happily.

But the pool additive is pure Na2CO-3, and it's cheap, AND (the point of my post) it is more readily available.

Availability, Han, that's the issue I was trying to cover.

See my earlier post at:

I just ran across a site detailing how to make (fairly pure) Na2CO-3 from Baking Soda (Sodium *Bi*carbonate) at:

Reply to
Hylourgos

snipped-for-privacy@sewanee.edu (Hylourgos) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I'm sorry, if I irked you. My only point was that Na2CO-3 is Na2CO-3, whatever you call it. Whether or not the detergents in A&H would help, I can't tell for sure. My guess is that they would help a little, but I have no experience whatsoever trying any of this myself.

Reply to
Han

Not at all--your short post was just enigmatic, and I didn't understand what you were getting at.

I, and many others, have done electryolysis with plain old Arm&Hammer Sodium BI-Carbonate, and it seems to work OK. From what I've read and from what little experience I've had (haven't actually tested them side-by-side) though, Sodium Carbonate is more effective, the purer the better. So...I'd always been in search of a cheap and easy source. When I found it, I wanted to share it.

But I completely understand if someone has tried regular Baking Soda, it worked for them and they have no desire to try anything else to see if it works better.

Regards, H

Reply to
Hylourgos