Unisaw quality

I'm starting to rebuild my ww shop after being away from it for a few years. For a TS, I'd always planned on getting a Delta Unisaw since I want a good quality product that I can use for years into the future. However, I've seen a few posts (on this and other forums) that suggest the current Delta quality isn't what it used to be. Is that a fair impression? If so, are there other recommendations?

thanks, Paul

Reply to
PA_Paul

Hi Paul,

I can't speak for everyone, but I purchased a Delta Unisaw (3 HP, right-tilt, Limited Edition w/50" Biesemeyer fence) a few months ago and it is the BEST tool that I own. The quality is just as good as anything I've ever read about and hasn't given me one bit of trouble. Of course, you could get a PowerMatic 66 or one of the European-type machines and pay a lot more and probably get just as good (even better in some cases) quality than the Delta, but IMO you won't be at all sorry for buying the Unisaw. Even better, you can get them for ridiculously low prices now (for example,

in CT has their Unisaws for $1389!!! that's with a rebate, but so what).

Go for it!

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Since this was brought up, there is a classified ad for a Unisaw in the Chicago Tribune. Says it is 3HP with 52" Unifence, mobile base, dust collector. Like new for $750. Anyone interested can go to

check it out. I haven't priced Unisaws, but this strikes me like it might be a decent price.

todd

Disclaimer: i have no connection to this saw. Believe me, if it was mine, I wouldn't be selling it.

Reply to
todd

Yes, Jet or Grizzly.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah . . . if it had a Saw Stop with it!

Jums (g,r, & d!)

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I reciently bought a shiney new Delta Unisaw (LE LT 3hp). It is great. I made a 'Wooden Screen' with the 50t blade that comes with it (I'll get to the WWII later, the 50t has been great so far). Cut just barely past 1/2 way through a sheet of baltic birch ply. Parallel cuts 1/8 wood, 1/8 dado... and on the opposite side at 90 degrees to them. Took alot of precision and time but the Unisaw did it beautifully.

It took 2 of us to assemble it easily. It was missing 2 screws. But, that was the only flaw. TS-Aligner Jr said the blade was aligned to

3/1000 out of the box. I cannot complain.

Pete

Reply to
Pete D.

I've had three Unisaws over the past twenty five years and they have performed flawlessly. (I had three different ones because of various moves and not because the saw failed in any way).

The most recent one is about seven years old and is the most used tool in a shop where it often runs all day.

Keith Bohn (AKA Unisaw A100) is the man on this sort of information and I would direct any questions about comparative quality between different generations to Unisaws to him.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania Remove CLUETOKEN to reply to email.

Tom Watson

I've had one for about 3 years and love it.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

He kin only tell yuh aboot the 1939 models....

Jon Endres, PE

Yahbut, the things I can tell you about the '39 would (will) fill a booklet. :-)

OK, the Unisaw speech.

A Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw.

There, I said it.

The Unisaw you buy today is more than likely going to be every bit as good as the Unisaw your grandfather bought way back in the middle of the last century. There are

*differences* though. Comfy yet? Got your favorite beverage nestled inside your favorite NASCAR cozy? Good, let's move along.

The '39 Unisaw is not the epitome of the Unisaw. Far from it. It's a great saw and don't get me wrong. Owning one of these four footers does automagically bring you membership in an exclusive club but that's about it.

*If* I had my druthers I would be looking for a saw built from about the mid-50's to the early part of the '70's. Fit and finish on these saws is pretty close to being as good as it ever was/will be.

If I were to avoid a Unisaw it would be from the mid-70's to the early '80's. These can be immediately identified by the Rockwell International Peace Sign Logo (RIPL). Rockwell was on a *value engineering* jag during these years and quality was not job one.

The major difference between the first Unisaw ever built (mine) and the one that sitting on the floor at my local Woodcraft is/are things like, the cast iron base (plinth) is long gone. The cast iron motor cover is never more and replaced (at first) by a sheet metal box and now a blow molded plastic (plastique David) cover. The hand wheels and lock knobs are kinda cheesy looking. The color (colour David) is a putrid blue/green/gray or worse yet plutonium colored (coloured David). There are some internal differences but for the most part they do not telegraph to what the saw was intended to do.

You will also have to consider that the new Unisaw does not come with a soul but this really isn't too much of a problem. The machine's soul comes from the user and a used machine usually comes with more than one. For the record, last night I saw, for the first time, Bob Schmall's Unisaw and it has a soul. Bob bought it at Redmonds. Redmonds regularly goes out and buys back saws from dealers and they have them stacked to the ceiling so this saw was technically not new but it did arrive to Bob soulless. Anyway, Bob has had it for a yearish and the saw now has a soul.

Buy the Unisaw, give it a soul and stop fretting the thing.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Dare I suggest that other tools can develop a soul?

I've had excellent results for 6 years with my Jet contractor saw. Although we've had some ups and downs, she's never bitten me. When I'm out pursuing other things, she patiently and quietly waits for my return.

I can't help but wonder if she'd be sad and despondent if I moved on to a Unisaw or PM66.

I have a similar relationship with my cordless drill. I swear I can see it wriggling like a puppy when I'm reaching for it.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I have excuses. I won't list them here. The old machines in the basement are getting older and they are not getting used either.

My Unisaw is a 1997 model. I am holding out for a 1939 model, not to get rid of the newer one, but to have a restorable piece of history. Some people buy old cars, some of us buy the old machines.

JE

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Bought my Limited Edition Unisaw a couple years age....never looked back...great saw...

Reply to
George Berlinger

B a r r y B u r k e J r . spaketh...

It's such an easy setup, I would feel guilty taking advantage...

Reply to
McQualude

I don't think my Wadkin has a soul and I'm not sure I want it getting one.

I live next door to a mortician.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Deer Keef,

Umm, no they ain't.

The casting problems you hear about with new Unisaurs (twisted tables) is due to the casting process Delta's subcontracters use.

My Unisaur was made at the Colander (sp?) foundry in Guelph Ontario, when Delta Canada used to own a foundry and do *all* their own work.

Both mine and your Unisaws castings are made of Meehanite, the same type of cast iron Powermatic used up until a few years ago when they also sold their foundry and started contracting out.

General Canada is the last ww'ing company who own their own foundry and use Meehanite castings...

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

Barry wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Jul 12, 2003, 12:04pm (EDT+4) From: Keep it in the snipped-for-privacy@please.thankyou (B=A0a=A0r=A0r=A0y=A0B=A0u=A0r=A0k=A0e=A0J=A0r=A0.)

Dare I suggest that other tools can develop a soul? I've had excellent results for 6 years with my Jet contractor saw. Although we've had some ups and downs, she's never bitten me. When I'm out pursuing other things, she patiently and quietly waits for my return. I can't help but wonder if she'd be sad and despondent if I moved on to a Unisaw or PM66. I have a similar relationship with my cordless drill. I swear I can see it wriggling like a puppy when I'm reaching for it. Barry

****************************************************** Yes, I believe that tools have souls. I have some that I bought 50 years ago and they have been with me through thick and thin, including four marriages and divorces. I have only to pick up one of my "children" and feel the bond between us. As Benny Hill used to say, "It is true I tell you". Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar