Unisaw - Impressions

Ok, a few impressions of my Australian delivered Unisaw...

Clearly marked REWIRED 220/50, and no red dot. Good start. All bits there. Went together with no trouble.

Issues?

Adjustment for splitter mount does not have enough travel to align splitter with Delta supplied blade, have to fiddle with different thickness washers - seems silly when there are adjustment points...need to look harder maybe.

Why is it rewired for Australia, and yet has not got an Australian plug fitted? Had to get a 20 amp plug end and attach. Minor but irritating.

Blade is worse than the worst hand held saw blade I have ever used. No - actually - it is worse than that - I have never seen such bad blade marking. More $$ soon, sigh.

Even on dedicated 20 amp circuit, browns out the house lights when starting.

BIG kick when starting, but once running is QUIET and SMOOTH. (Would be even better with a good blade mebbe).

Tried my tenoning jig on quite a few tenons, and although only pine (shaddup), everything went smoothly, mitre slot alignment to blade was spot on from box, and although my metric allen keys do not suit the Biesemeyer adjuster, a sliver of plastic gets it square for now....lol.

Hooked up the Winch on my four wheel drive to the Uni motor, and the Uni won.

So far? Very happy. Will post in a year or so after I have flogged it...and update you all..

Mike R. Brisbane, Australia

Reply to
Mike Richardson

My unisaw was delivered with the splitter mounting bracket aligned for a narrow kerf blade. The supplied Delta blade has the typical carbide teeth wider than the blade kerf, and I had to move the mounting bracket about 0.030" to align the right side of the splitter with the carbide bit. This also matches my Freud Dado blade and probably most other carbide blades. The slight realignment required using hex-head wrenches (Allen wrenches) to move it.

Any possibility you have the splitter washer on the wrong side of the splitter?

The one supplied by Delta for my saw is very good. It's a10" x 50 tooth ATB&R. Smooth cuts and no tearout even on 1/4" plywood.

I get no brown-outs on startup, but at 60 Hz the motor may be better behaved. The US version comes with a 15-amp plug, and it is rated to draw 11.9 Amps, but it idles way below that. Mine is also smooth - standing a US nickel on edge on the table while it's running does not cause the coin to fall over from vibration.

Good luck with yours - have enjoyed using mine.

-- Tom

Reply to
TOM

As a newbie, I'm not certain my new Unisaw is perfect or not, but it seems to be ok. The only problems I've encountered were the threads on the flathead screws that hold the Biesemeyer fence front rail were so burred I couldn't use them. after three weeks and as many phone calls, Bessemer express shipped me replacements along with a full bag of hardware.

Also the instructions referred to a Z bracket and an L bracket that supports the center of the extension table which was not included with my saw. I was told by Biesmeyer that they only send those when the customer asks for them.

Finally, the table top could be a lot smoother. Seems Delta has forgone grinding the surface and leaving the rough milled finish. Does this rough surface serve any purpose? Seems to me that all it does is make removal of the furiture polish a lot more difficult. My Powermatic Bandsaw table has a nice smooth finish.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Is there a standard for a 20 amp 220V plug in Australia? In the USA, there are about three or four different plugs that could be used. I replaced the plug on mine with a locking plug.

The blade on my Unisaw is really bad. I bought a remanufactured saw with a 1999 serial number. It has a plain steel blade, no carbide or anything.

Not unusual in most houses, especially with older wiring.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

snip

Mebbe....it is on same side as bolt head? So Head, Washer Splitter, bracket.

I used the hex head adjusters to pull it over as far as possible already.

snip

Thanks, am having fun already. Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Yes as far as I understand - all three pins fatter blade style. (15 amp is only fatter earth poin blade)

May worry the 5 computers in the house tho - hehe

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson