Unexpectedly handy tools

A recent article in Popular Woodworking ("Best $20 I Ever Spent") and responses to a recent thread "home shop on the cheap" got me thinking - what are some simple, relatively inexpensive tools or accessories that make your life in the shop easier? Of course we all need saws and clamps and chisels and all, but what are some things that might not be on all the lists of "basic woodworking tools"? For example, I broke down and spent $20 for a "Preppin' Weapon" sanding block, and though it sounds expensive for something as simple as a sanding block, I've been amazed at how convenient and effective it is.

also have a Rockler 4" engineer's square with graduations in inches - that may be the most-used, least-expensive tool in my shop. Sure it might be even more useful to have the sliding version from LV (3x the $) or Starrett (5x the $), but this little guy is always in my hand or my apron pocket.
what are your examples? Andy

Reply to
Andy

An electric pencil sharpener, because my pencils go where missing socks live.

Reply to
Woodhead

Lee Valley's Veritas Saddle Square.

I use it on almost every project, even on the lathe sometimes.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

There are tools for under $20?

Next thing you know someone will have found a piece of wood for less than twenty bucks.

When someone says there's a car that gets 25 or more miles per gallon I'll be 7 feet tall from all the leg pulling.

A useful tool for under twenty dollars - yeah right.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Crepe sandpaper cleaning block. Big one for $7-8 at a woodworking show about ten years ago.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

At the risk of "me-too-ing" I have to agree on saddle square. About 10 bucks, IIRC, and except for a pencil and a tape measure, it's probably the most-used tool I own. Don't know how I ever got along without it.

To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com

John

Reply to
John

Reminds me of a story.......

I had just started woodturning and we were very VERY poor at the time. I drove over to Woodworkers Source in Phoenix to look at their wood for turning. I found a real good looking block and wondered if I could afford to pay the $7.95 that the price tag showed. I thought I would look around for something less expensive. Well picking through the pile all I found were $40.00 to $90.00 pieces. I looked again closely at the tag on my original piece and saw the faded 6 in front of the 7.95, so it was really $67.95! I went home and picked through my own wood pile.

Handy tools under $20.00? My stainless steel rulers.

Take care,

Craig

cm

  1. Good pair of sawhorses, sturdy and the right height -- free from scrap.

  1. Straight grained wood frame for use as a sheet goods cutting base -- free panel/frame door from the scrap pile

  2. 14" L-brackets, useful in many occasions (idea from John Carroll, Working Alone) -- free from scrap plywood

  1. Old brass hinge of the right type (tight hinge, square on the edges) for use as a saddle square -- free from scrap

  2. 5 gal. buckets to haul tools in -- free

  1. Freud 7-1/4 or 8" thin-kerf blades for use in the TS -- ea.

  2. HF clamps -- dollars (what, about 10?)

That hits $20 for me, H

Reply to
hylourgos

Andy wrote: [snip]

My 6" stainless vernier caliper. It's my depth gauge, thickness gauge and inside dimension gauge...all in my pocket. Maybe not $ 20,00....but not much more than $ 30.00 for a decent piece. Don't bother with the dial-equipped ones...learn how to read a normal one. It will give

1/128" accuracy...plenty accurate for woodwork. Also.. a 12" stainless rule... about $ 12.00 A 2-pound plastic deadblow hammer, lead-shot filled. From the Snap-On truck...about 20 bucks.Great for that definitive tap...non-marring persuasion... when you want to move that biscuit-joined glue-up just that 'c-hair'.

Those three tools are always where I know they are.... and of course, my FatMax tapemeasure.

Robatoy

Me too, me too.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I have the LV Saddle Square also, and although I use it quite a bit and it is definitely handy, it just hasn't made my list of "stuff I use all the time". Maybe I'm still getting used to it... One thing I forgot to mention earlier is a Craftsman 6oz "Plastic Tip Hammer". I got it to adjust my Knight wood planes, and it's perfect for that, but I've also found a variety of other uses for it, when I don't want to mar what I'm hammering, but my dead-blow mallet is too much.

for all your replies - interesting and useful. Keep 'em coming. Andy

Reply to
Andy

"Andy" wrote in news:1151970423.035249.249640 @j8g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

I bought a coping saw last Christmas and have been using it on quite a few small projects. Not only does it cut corners (pun intended) but it cuts straight across boards too.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

However did you cope before buying it?

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Not Just For Woodworking" but one of the handiest things I've purchased in the last few years was an inexpensive ratcheting screwdriver, the type that takes regular 1/4" hex bits. LOTS easier for my aging wrists and hands to use, lots less to carry around for household repairs, and when the business end gets worn out, just throw it away and pop in a new one.

Reply to
lwasserm

I'm not as sharp as i used to be, please explain how the pencil sharpener helps keep you from losing pencils. Am I missing the point?

Reply to
lwasserm

Damn, I saw that one coming.

Reply to
lwasserm

Are you talking about a "Yankee" screwdriver, or something different? If different, do you have a link to an example? TIA

Mark & Juanita

How about a 6" steel ruler, graduated in 1/32. Also a mechanical pencil, like a pentel 7mm or 5mm HD lead; clipps in your shirt pocket. Always reasonably sharp for most purposes, handy as the shirt pocket itself. Now sharpener needed

Bobby Lee Chandler, AZ, USA

Reply to
Bob Lee

"Andy" wrote in news:1151970423.035249.249640 @j8g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Kreg Mini pocket hole kit

Reply to
Reed

Heart be still! When I opened the link to see what you are talking about, I was looking at a picture of my "most useful hammer". Mine is identical, purchased from Sears as a Christmas gift to me in 1973.

Bob

Reply to
Bob