Under stair storage question

I have an under stair area (kitchen) with door. Will be demolishing old stair case (leading to attic bedrooms) due to steep slope (attic bedrooms) and shallow tread. Upon installing new stairs (longer run) I will still have this same storage place (with a door) beneath the stairs. As you all know this space gets rather useless when it dips down to 3-4 feet.

Question: Have any of you done either a pull-out or cubby storage under that area? Any sketches anywhere? Photos? Envisioning pulling out (on gliders or rollers) maybe 2 feet into the room (kitchen), said pullout maybe having storage for a sack of potatoes or some larger pots and pans. All ideas greatly appreciated!

Note: Existing door opens perpendicular to the run of the staircase. (Door is not on the end of the cavity).

Thank you, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

While this does not make use of all of that lower space, I have book shelves built on the out side section near the floor. That could take up to 1/3 of that space under there.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry, that should have said, I have seen pictures of this. I do not actually have this.

BUT BUT BUT. If you have a pet, that would be a nice cave if you had a side entrance and it was sectioned off from the rest of the under stair storage area.

Reply to
Leon

[snip]

I recently saw something very similar to that idea used on an episode of HGTV's "Tiny Homes" where every square inch is used for something. Made a great spot for a pet that was out of the way.

The other thing that I was thinking about when I read this (we're in a single level home so I can't play along at home ;)) would be just a simple wheeled cart to fill in that space with runners framed into the area so that it would pull straight out and roll back in as needed. As Ivan mentioned, it would be great to store bulky items.

Making it blend in might take some work but if one were to install wainscoting along that wall, the "problem" of seams could literally disappear.

Meanwhile, if Ivan would merely Google the following words in a simple Google search (No quotes necessary): roll out storage beneath stairways

he will find plenty of reading material, plans and ideas.

Have fun!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Dear Unquestionably Confused, Your roll-out cart idea is brilliant. I will investigate further. Thank you! Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

If something like this were done I'd definitely make it a removable module, lined with something easily cleaned, so that it doesn't become an impossible to clean smelly hole under the stairs!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Put a bookcase on the outside of it with a frame that overlaps the opening.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Another good idea which provides somewhat secure storage hideaway.

The possibilities for Ivan are endless. Limited only by his imagination and the latitude given him by SWMBO!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Or lots of deeeep drawers.

Reply to
Leon

Try - google _image_ search "under stair storage" -

- it returns an amazing array of ideas. A lot depends on intended usage - - everyday use or seasonal stuff ? 100 pound full extension drawer slides ; pull-out pantry units ; endless possibilities. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Hub, I did search 'under stair storage' in Google and yes, umpteen ideas. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You don't want to fill that last 3-4 feet.

Where will the monster live?

DerbyDad03

Where it always has, under the bed. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I just put the Christmas ornaments at the very end and crawl in- and out once a year.

Be advised that people walking on the stairs throws of a surprising amount of dust.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Is that why you fill your "under the bed" with drawers?

Reply to
G. Ross

Not with a captains bet - or even worse - a Murphy.

Reply to
clare

A monster could hide under my SIL's Murphy (style) bed:

You can leave a standard PC Monitor on the desk and the bed will still pull down. With the matching bookcase on the left hand side, (not shown) the unit just fit into their spare bedroom. Just those inches to spare on the window wall.

Nice idea, but the bed was a little too high for this short guy. The phrase "climb into bed" really fit. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Which is why the underside of out basement stairs is covered woth a heavy vinyl table cloth, stapled to the bottom of the stairs. Keeps all the dust off what we store there.

Reply to
clare

I've seen a piece of luan serve the same purpose.

Reply to
krw

LOL

Reply to