Re: Removal of old window putty???

Also, old window caulk can contain asbestos
http://www.greenstreamenvironmental.ca/blog/2012/01/asbestos-in-your-windows/
John T.
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 6:37:01 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

My understanding is that asbestos is relatively safe to work with in a non-friable (not a dust) state. Particulate masks are always a good idea, as the paint may be lead based as well...

Badly deteriorated putty or caulk is friable - when you start to mess with it. <especially using the multi-tool> Also - a responsible worker will not only protect himself with properly rated respirator - but do his utmost to prevent the microscopic fibres from dispersing into the room and vents & such. John T.
In article <vt1mac15mm0ciu2p7sclul4vqijed0dqrb@

The real gotcha is that you have to dispose of it as a hazmat, you can't just throw it in the trash.
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:20:19 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wro te:

eners) under

indows/

d idea,

Asbestos can be wet so as to minimize dust...I guess I could/should have be en more clear (or refrained from any comment at all)...I was basing my comm ents as a DIYer working within one's own home, not as a business...Whole ne w level of care to be invoked if a contractor...IMO, best left to pros that specialize in this field...cost can be prohibitive...

The DIY homeowner needs to be aware of the potential hazards. Then, he can make his-version of an intelligent decision - which, as we all know - will be to ignore all safety precautions completely. Asbestos in the home is don't ask / don't test / don't tell for most homeowners, and, unfortunately many contractors. John T.
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 05:24:43 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Didn't you hear that the sky is falling?