Uhhh, horrible flourescent lighting

Let's see - you're in/near Mississauga, ON, Canada? I don't know what the Canadian's require to import plant material, but it could be sent as a "gift" to avoid 'some' border scrutiny. Or maybe not... I'd hate to have the Mounties show up at my door.

Generally, within the US, only states with temperate climates have restrictions on shipping aquarium plant material. CA, FL,TX, etc. I don't think you guys in the Great White North qualify as temperate. LMAO...

I assume you're talking Compact Fluorescent's - very bright and pretty pricey... As for the 2x13 CF, were the lamps of a proper spectrum? Is your Fertilization Regime/Traces correct? There are so many variables it would be hard to place a finger on any one component, but

72W of CF sounds like a whole LOT 'o-light on a 10G.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I feel the need to toot our one local (and only) pet shop's horn. For a town of 19,500, it's quite unusual - hell, sounds like for a town the size of Atlanta, it'd be quite unusual.

Critter Cabana:

Now, I don't know if their fish are unusual or not (salt and fresh) but they get some of the strangest 4-legged animals: walleroos; two-toed sloth; banded armadillo; and an African fox (can't recall the name at the moment). They've also got quite a cross section of the cold-blooded sort -- yech.

They've been in business for a couple years now, so maybe it's going to go for awhile.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Actually, no, I haven't seen them. I don't shop at Wal-Mart if I can help it. But I will look for them in the future. Glad to know the market is finally adapting. Thanks for the heads up. I though you were talking about the common replacement bulbs.

Always a good thing. Operating temperature has an effect on tube longevity. So much so that apertured reflectors are used in some commercial fixtures - for those who can afford them.

Last time I was in a Wal-Mart Super Center around here, they had about

1 side of a small 15 foot aisle dedicated to fish stuff - not much to speak of. Don't tell me, you on the West Coast.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G