Uhhh, horrible flourescent lighting

My opinion of fluorescent lighting: Can't stand it. Especially in my shop where it makes my wood look pale. When I'm knee-deep in a project and there's wood and shavings all over, fluorescent makes it look messy where incandescent gives everything a nice glow. I know the advantages of fluorescent but just not willing to put up with the dull mood it creates.

On a related note A client of mine just installed power-saver bulbs in his basement. I went down there and turned on the switch. I could see the bulbs came on but none of the light actually reached the floor, heh.

Reply to
Battleax

There are many color spectrums available in fluorescent bulbs. Tri-spectrum and broadband bulbs eliminate much of that washed out effect you get from cheap "shop lights". Which is why everyone from art departments to operating rooms to your local butcher uses them. And if you buy them from a commerical lighting supplier (not Grainer or the Borg), they are not expensive.

But to each his own...

ES bulbs are NOT the same as real T-12's or T-8's - they're mostly a bad joke - a knee jerk reaction to increased energy costs in the 80's.

Lumens per watt are greatly increased over incandescent.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

The "dull mood" comes from the spectrum (mix of colors) given off by a "cool white" fluorescent tube. You might want to try a "warm white" tube which produces a yellowish color, or a "daylight" tube which produces a bluish color. There also is some variation between different manufacturers. I really like the spectrum given off by the GE branded compact fluorescent bulbs (ie. compatible with incandescent fixtures) from Menards. I have 9 of them in my kitchen. I also like the Feit brand.

In my shop, I use cool white, high output bulbs. Cold and dull, but with white walls and a gray concrete floor, I just want it bright.

Reply to
AL

I use T-8 5000k broad-spectrum bulbs - $3.05 each. Just like sunlight at noon - without the cancer. They last for _years_ and no flicker - well, no visible flicker when they run at 22kHz on an electronic ballast. I HATE the strobing effect of magnetic ballasted lamps.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

another worthless opinion of ignorance extraordinaire battleass.

Just saying Hi!

BWAHAHAHAAAAAA

Reply to
1199.44.49.11

and another xpert................. Howdy!

Reply to
1199.44.49.11

I am slowly replacing all of my lamps and fixtures with T5 lamps and electronic ballasts. Not the cheap HD type but from a local wholesale electric supplier. Man are they bright and the color is 5000k - very bright! Dave

TeamCasa

I've used the GE "Kitchen and Bath" bulbs both in the workshop and for lighting my model railroad. To my eye, they're very close to sunlight but I don't know the color temperature.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Not many - some "under construction" types. See at:

Tell me about it. I recently picked up a new one - tropical fish. I guess I'll give up gardening to make time. Besides, I'm getting too old for shovel work :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Spend the money for better bulbs.

Retail stores don't move much merchandise under dull, cold lighting. They figured out long ago that "True Color" fluorescent are worth the bucks.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Got any model RR photos on the web?

Years ago I was into that, and I still enjoy looking at other's stuff.

Sooo many interests...

Reply to
Ba r r y

Are you sure this isn't the aquarium newsgroup?

Yep, I bought some clown loaches which, like the suggested pleco, will outgrow my tanks eventually. The biggest I'll ever have room for is an

18"x36", which is either a 50 or a 55, I forget.

And I plan on putting both Maylasian trumpet snails and blackworms into my tanks a month or so before the fish.

And for he who mentioned algae, a lot of healthy plants will outcompete the algae.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

course. And the larger tanks will too.

If anyone hasn't looked at Greg's tank picture yet, do so.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

;-)

Go for the African cichlids or S.A. killifish... In my mind they're the most interesting. Or perhaps the mormyrids...

Or the Amazon cichlids...

Or...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Right now I have 3 empty tanks and am building stands for them (obligatory woodworking reference). The "display" 29 gallon in the livingroom will be various tetras. The 20H in my room will be forktail blue-eyes or a related species, and the 20L will be dwarf neon rainbows. All tanks will have some catfish for cleanup duties.

I do have a 10 gallon with a variety of fish and some #$#@! pond snails, and a 5.5 gallon with some female platys - the males are in the 10 gallon. After 3 generations I thought it was time to force them into celibacy :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Tinfoil barbs are also very cool. We had one that had gotten to frying pan size before we left Texas. Forgot what we got for it at the pet store when we moved. The cichlids were neat also, but the Barbs added an interesting splash of silver.

Mark & Juanita

Reply to
Ba r r y

I had one of those, too. It grew that big because it ate all the other fish.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Back when I was into it, I used to shop there.

A very cool place!

Reply to
Ba r r y