TV legal ad focused on table saw injuries

You'd be surprised how many are transplants from the East and West coast. Damn few second generation Texans left down here.

But that is beside the point. Jurors much decide theses cases, with great influence from the Federal judges, on FEDERAL law.

Reply to
Swingman

That would be a SawStop patent infringement.

Reply to
Leon

SFWIW, I've used the BoardBuddie (Yellow) quite successfully when I ripped a little over a mile of 2x12x24ft Doug fir into

1-1/2"x5/8"x24ft battens to build my sailboat mold.

That little project took a whole weekend and filled a dumpster to the top with saw dust.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Don't see how - and maybe they're already working on it:

Baxter

According to the PTI the technology of dropping the blade was being perused. When SawStop learned of this they amended a pending patent in March of 2012 to protect further protect the technology of a blade dropping quickly after blade contact. Apparently the patent office is allowing this amendment.

Reply to
Leon

That sawdust is my current problem. After my recent second bout with pneumonia, my lung guy lectured me about sawdust exposure. I'd been using a Dust-Bee-Gone mask and thought I was OK, but I checked and it only claims to stop stuff down to 3 microns. So I went out yesterday and bought a 3M respirator with a P100 rating. I haven't tried it yet, but I doubt it'll be as comfortable as the mask.

OTOH, it looks like it'll be more comfortable than my old Willson "gas mask" and it does give the same or better protection against finishing fumes.

How's that saying go? "If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." :-)

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

------------------------------------------ There are some advantages to living here in SoCal including being able to do a lot of your work outside which included making those battens.

The runout table consisted of about 30 feet of roller conveyor while the infeed consisted of roller stands made from welding pipe to car tire steel rims.

At the end of the day, sweep all the saw dust into a pile and shovel it into the dumpster.

Good luck with your respirator.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Even if the PTO didn't allow this, the patent covers the sensor pretty broadly. I read through these patents a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion that Gass knows patent law pretty well. He's got another eight (give or take) clear and then some, with the less broad claims of later patents.

Reply to
krw

Now *that* makes me angry! Apparently Sawstop wants to be the only table saw available. Didn't there used to be laws against monopolies?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You know, it's not a monopoly. They offered it out initially. The companies turned their noses at it.

Modifying a patent is pretty common.

Read this, and notice they modified the patent. From Lee Valley , got it today.

woodchucker

SawStop is simply doing what every other company does with its patents. Don't get me started with why r12 freon was out lawned.

Reply to
Leon

Not true. Most companies file patents as a purely defensive move. Most of the remaining license patents on a "reasonable and non-discriminatory" basis. Few attempt to corner the market and damned few attempt to get the federal government to put their competition out of business.

Does it grow grass too? ;-)

Reply to
krw

No argument. I just get irritated at what I think are excesses of capitalism. This mornings paper had an article about a low birth rate and said it was good for overpopulation but bad for the economy. Everyone they quoted complained about the economic impact and ignored the population issue. Same with environmental controls. Big coal and big oil scream about damage to their profits.

And no, before the tea party types here foam at the mouth, I don't know of a better system.

I take some solace in the probability that if we keep on being so stupid, we'll become extinct or fall back to the stone age.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We are in danger, no doubt. What's worse is the kids today are less capable then we were. There reading and math scores are very low. The loss of vocational schooling in the middle and high school (wood shop, metal shop) leave no where for these less educated kids to go.

Add to that our lack of making hard decisions and you have a firestorm brewing.. of catastrophic proportions.

In the old days, people were more adept at adapting, today, less so.

Reply to
woodchucker

"Le> Exactly! I shutter to think what life was like during WWII when

----------------------------------------- It was pretty straight forward.

There was THE WAR to win.

Whatever was needed got done.

And yes, the Hollywood propaganda machine was in full glory.

Watch some old flicks from the war years.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The world population doubles about every 60 years. It has *not* been that way since "the beginning of time". How long do you think that can continue? How long before the "too many rats in a cage" syndrome gets out of hand?

BTW, the US is right on the average. In 1950 the population was 151 million. Sixty years later, in 2010, the population was 309 million. Both numbers from the census.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

And the top income tax rate in 1945 was 94%. Those guys knew how to fund a war. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

You mean like the earth quakes and wild fires in California? :-)

I'm not sure either well maybe I am but the data is out of context, much like the data that was used to back up the global warming theory. Had we had the same methods of collecting data and same advancements in computers and programming 25-30 years earlier it would have been determined that we were in the middle of global cooling.

The big issue with all of this is that the whole picture is not being looked at, Only the data that happens to be collected at a particular time is being scrutinized. Living near the coast, hurricanes are a hot spot of interest with the weather reporters. Because of global bla bla bla/climate change we saw a ramp up in named storms each year. Are we having more storms than 60 years ago, probably not. It used to be that we did not have the ability to track every storm coming off of the west African coast hence we had fewer storms. Today I think simple cloud cover over the African coast is targeted. Not to mention that if a known storm was not a threat to the US it was not even named unless it actually qualified as a hurricane. And now we are naming winter storm fronts!

Suddenly, relatively speaking, too much data and too little used by those that are totally overwhelmed is the actual problem.

Reply to
Leon

SNIP>>>>>>>>>

We are in danger, no doubt. What's worse is the kids today are less capable then we were. There reading and math scores are very low. The loss of vocational schooling in the middle and high school (wood shop, metal shop) leave no where for these less educated kids to go.

Add to that our lack of making hard decisions and you have a firestorm brewing.. of catastrophic proportions.

In the old days, people were more adept at adapting, today, less so.

Reply to
WW

One thing the county where I lived in Vermont did really well was vocational education. They didn't do wood shop or metal shop for the "college bound" kids, rather had a complete school for vo-ed, complete with plumbing, electrical, and carpentry. IIRC, they built a house every year. It was a separate county-wide school, though shared the high school property and some facilities.

True that. The tipping point can't be far away with 1 worker per person on the government check. Demographics isn't going the right way, either.

That's been happening since at least the middle ages. Industrialization, if not civilization itself, demands specialization. OTOH, I've think been successful in finding work easily because I prefer to be a generalist in my profession. I've rarely done exactly the same thing in any two (consecutive, at least) positions. On the down side of that, I'm in mid-level rather than management (though it's the way I like it).

Reply to
krw