Tuning a Jointer

What adjustment is necessary to correct a convex cut when edge jointing a board? Also does anyone know of a site that tell what adjustments are required to correct for different types of cuts, concave, convex, tapered ect.? Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Jointer adjustments are really simple in theory, but can be had to execute the first few times. The blades should all be of equal height, the blades should be dead even with the outfeed table, and the outfeed and infeed tables should be in the same plane for the total length of the tables. If any of these items are out of line you will not get an even cut.

I don't know of a website the gives the error messages that you are looking for. If you are cutting a taper the blades are too high.

A big problem that some people have with jointers is putting too much pressure down onto the board. There should just be enough pressure to stop the board from chattering and never put pressure at the end of the board as it goes over the knives.

I hope this helps, and I expect that others will hop in with their experiences.

Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

cut you are getting is convex when you start with reasonably straight? Normally outfeed too high.

Cut is convex on an edge which began as convex? Join the middle first, starting and stopping short of the ends.

Reply to
George

I did not understand my jointer well until I bought a video on tuning a jointer from Taunton, the folks who publish Fine Woodworking. It's a wonderful investment.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin

Somebody else made a post about this video but I couldn't find it on the Taunton website. Anybody got a link?

Reply to
BeerBoy

Here it is

allen.morgan