Tung oil preserver

I have not been able to find any regular finish preserver--everyone seems to be out until November. I have been using a dash of propane in the can and that seems to work ok.

Recently, I found a cylinder of Genetron 22 at the dump.(chlorodifluoromethane, similar to Freon). Used in air conditioners. It had some pressure still left so I hooked a bit of tubing to it and used that in my Tung oil cans. Don't try it! This stuff is absorbed by the tung oil, leaving a vacuum. I have two deformed cans to prove it.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

LOL!

Of course it condensed. It's a refrigerant!

I might have done the same thing.

Don't try that with anhydrous ammonia either...

Reply to
fredfighter

Did you try

bought a can from Lee Valley, and I noticed it said IronWood Designs is a division of "Private Preserve, Napa Valley"

if you go to that web site, you will see the same can, but a different label. Price is $9.00 a can. Bloxygen is $9.99 a can.

But with shipping, the price seems to be the same...

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Works for me, especially with marine finishes which start at about $35-$40/quart.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett