TS fence 30" vs 50"

how often do you use your TS fence > 30"?

Reply to
Kevin

Typically I would say every 4th cut on average.

Reply to
Leon

To add a bit, I can easily square up glued up panels with the extra capacity. Almost every time I cut up a sheet of plywood I go beyond 30". When I only had 30" capacity I can easily recall almost every furniture project requiring me to make a "less than desirable cut" because of the limitations.

If room is a concern, remember it only adds 20", less than 2 feet, to the length of your saw.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe twice in 7 years. And that's just a guess since I don't specifically recall ever using it except to get the fence out of the way of a crosscut. Don't even do that anymore since I got a good SCMS workstation to handle the crosscutting. Would I rather have the extra length than not have it? Yes, even when my shop was much smaller than it is now.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

yeah.. found a saw with 30" capacity..

so i'm off pricing rails and guide for 50"..

Reply to
Kevin

In my own present workshop never, due to having i) having a 30 inch fence and ii) not having any room to the right due to location of other tools.

For items < about 16 inch depth I can cut on my radial arm saw. Above this depth I either have to move several tools, make temporary supports, or elect to move outside and arrange temporary supports and use my circular saw with a 4ft or 8ft straight edge. This works well, but takes far too long to setup.

I do the latter a few times a year. So far I am able to hold off on such tasks to be outside winter conditions.

If space were not a constraint, I would much prefer to have a 50inch fence even though my use is not frequent. I value speed of setup and cutting with the table saw.

I cannot use one just yet since I would have to get rid of some other tools which are used frequently, e.g. bandsaw, with my present constraints which are due to other non-tool objects which need to share the same "workshop" space.

I gave up on cars being in my workshop a long time ago, but I do not have alternate locations for my John Deere tractor, attachments, wood storage, etc.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

I only have a 30" fence and there are times I wish I had, or needed a 50" one, so if you have the space, go for the 50".

Reply to
HappyGilmore

Depending on the brand of fence you may be able to cheat a little. With the 30" Bies you can move the fence over one set of bolt holes and add about 8" or 9" to it's cutting capacity right of the blade. Of course this does cut down on cutting capacity to the left of the blade. You also need to replace the scale which is easily done.

Oh, and to answer your question...the first time you need to cut anything that's 1" longer than the rails you have (no matter which rails you have) you'll wish you had longer ones. :-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Can't since I have a 30" and not enough room for the larger one.

In the 6 or so years I've had it, maybe a half dozen times I really wished I had the 50 but I'm able to work around any other time.

I don't work with a lot of sheet goods though. If I did, the 50" would be a must.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hello Kevin, If cost is the only factor it is well worth getting the longer rails. I have been using my set up with a sled to cut 42 rails for a hutch base and 48 inch boards for the upper section. Even if you only use yours 5 % of the time you will appreciate the ease with which you can make those wider cuts. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

it's a nice 10 year old Jet cabinet saw.. I'm asking Jet if I can get the

50" rails and guide and who much..

my guess close to $250.

anybody need 30" rails and guide for 1/2 that?

Reply to
Kevin

I"m assuming the fence itself will work just fine.. so I just need the rails.. 3 parts.. front , back, and guide

Reply to
Kevin

Get yourself a 50" Vega. You won't be sorry. If it's in the way take it off and lay it aside.

Reply to
Dave

Depends on what I'm building. Sometimes hardly ever, other times, every other cut. If you use a decent amount of sheet goods, you'll use it often.

Remember, with precautions, the fence also makes a great stop for crosscutting.

For example, say I'm dadoing a bunch of identical 7' shelf sides. I set the fence, drop the stock into the sled and make all the cuts with the end butted against the fence. If 52" is too short, I work from the other end. For through crosscuts, I add a block to the fence to prevent pinching the stock between the blade and fence.

If you're not using more than 30", the rest of the table can also be handy for holding stacks of parts as you machine them.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Since I don't have long rails, never.

For me, the only possible use of the longer rails would be ripping off less than 18" (the offcut) from a 4x8 sheet.

IMO, more important than rail length in ripping sheet goods, is fore and aft support of the sheet. Let's face it: ripping a 4x8 sheet on a table saw is a PITA...the sheet is heavy and awkward and the fence doesn't extend far enough forward. Those deficiencies can be mitigated but you are then devoting a HUGE area to the table saw.

Best solution is an honest to gawd panel saw...one of those jobbies where you can stand a sheet vertically, position the saw carriage, push a button and the cushioned carriage arms clamp the work in place, saw comes down and cuts, saw returns to top when finished. I covet one of those, will never have it though .

Reply to
dadiOH

Ditto. But measuring to the other side of the blade on sheet goods has become such second nature that I don't even worry about it. That long "horse" on the left supports the longer piece almost as well as SWMBO. Well, better, but don't tell her. Has some of that UHMW plastic up top. Now if only I could get better access to the on/off switch. SWMBO says it's my gut growing larger, but I think they're making the panels wider.

That, and I was obliged, under pressure, to sell my pickup in favor of a grandchild-carrying vehicle with a back seat last year. Now I take my big aluminum fence, my cutting plan, and my 18V Bosch circular and/or jig saws with me to the home center. I cut there and stack on the roof rack. Hate to pull the trailer for just a sheet or two.

Reply to
George

If you've got the space for one, and don't insist on it being fully automatic, there are plans available for several shop-made versions.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No kidding .... especially for cabinets and furniture casework.

Almost all built-in cabinets are over 30" tall/wide, and much of the casework on sideboards, tall chests, and even tables can exceed 50".

Actually, wish I had 96" fence capacity ... 52" is too often not enough.

Reply to
Swingman

Recalling what your shop looks like, a 96" is gonna be a real stretch. The outboard table would be "outdoors" as we say in the south.

Sw> No kidding .... especially for cabinets and furniture casework.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Theoretically possible, as Shop is 18' x 18', and where there's a will ...

And who says you have to move around inside a shop anyhow?

Reply to
Swingman